What's new

Tracy & Sawyer Military Comedies - Coming Soon from ClassicFlix (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Notice the cover says Volume 1. So the remaining streamliners must be on the way.
1.jpg

That's Veda Ann Borg, on the cover.
2  veda ann borg.jpg

3 1941 tanks_a_million_poster.jpg

4 1942  HAYFOOTHR.jpg

5 1942 2P4RnZzFjNprn1Cs4HtMwN4sqmZ.jpg

6 1943  fall-in-us-poster-top-from-left-william-tracy-rebel-randall-joe-sawyer-E5MD92.jpg

7 1943 yanks-ahoy-us-poster-from-top-joe-sawyer-marjorie-woodworth-william-E5MY27.jpg

8 1948 gettyimages-1137206915-612x612.jpg

Here's an odd picture showing Hal Roach, center, celebrating the one year anniversary of the streamliners. Roach and the behind the scenes folks are looking at the cake, but the cast, William Tracy, Jean Porter, Marjorie Woodworth, and Joe Sawyer, is looking at Roach.
17.jpg

Hal Roach produced two more Tracy and Sawyer/Dodo and Ames movies, in 1951 and 1952, released by Lippert. But I suppose they are not considered part of the Roach streamliners that were released by United Artists.

15 1951.jpg

16 1952.jpg

I hope Volume 2 with be the 'Taxi' series with Grace Bradley, William Bendix, and Joe Sawyer. (also pictured-Florine McKinney)
epCvNwXW4pRooUFjWJYmT4tu3hs.jpg

taxi-mister-us-lobbycard-from-left-joe-sawyer-grace-bradley-william-e5nt4a.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, that's Pepi Katona!

I put my order in a couple of weeks ago, when I first heard about 'em. Blind buy, but I love what ClassicFlix has put out to date, so feel comfortable with a pre-order.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hey, that's Pepi Katona!

I put my order in a couple of weeks ago, when I first heard about 'em. Blind buy, but I love what ClassicFlix has put out to date, so feel comfortable with a pre-order.
Yes, it's Pepi Katona, and that's why I watched these delightful films. I'm always quoting his line: But I'm just a child!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I first saw some of the streamliners as part of a Hal Roach package on TV that ran some of the Roach United Artists features and some of the features that were made by combining two streamers together. So it will be nice to see the Tracy/Sawyer series in their original format.

The streamliners are goofy fun! The first streamliner was "All American Girl"-1941. That one has been running on the MOVIES! channel lately. (Many of them are on YouTube also.) The Tracy/Sawyer series had the most 'episodes'. The Taxi Series with Sawyer, William Bendix, and Grace Bradley had three, "Brooklyn Orchid"-1942, "The McGuerins From Brooklyn"-1942, and "Taxi Mister"-1943. The cowboy series with Noah Beery, Jr. and Jimmy Rogers had three, "Dudes Are Pretty People Too"-1942, "Calaboose"-1943, and "Prairie Chickens"-1943. And there were two streamliners with Hitler, played by Bobs Watson. I think the rest were stand alone comedies.
dudes-are-pretty-people-from-left-jimmy-rogers-marjorie-woodworth-e5n9cx.jpg

YANKS AHOY! is famous for having the soldiers wearing the new U.S. M-1 helmet backwards.

Joe Sawyer with Marjorie Woodworth and the backwards helmet.
Marjorie Woodworth and Joe Sawyer in Yanks Ahoy (1943).jpg

Helmets the right way in "Guadalcanal Diary"-1943, William Bendix, Lloyd Nolan, Anthony Quinn, and Preston Foster.
w.jpg

I'd like to think that the director had the actors wearing their helmets backwards because they looked funnier that way. But more likely, even though "Yanks Ahoy!", was not released until the summer of 1943, it was probably filmed in 1942 at a time the helmets were so new, they never saw them worn properly. So the technical advisors guessed wrong. I could see the Army providing the new helmets straight from the factory to the movie studio for recruitment PR reasons.

Marjorie Woodworth is in many of the Hal Roach streamliners and features. She's a great example of wholesome forties cheesecake.

Streamliner, "Niagara Falls". with Slim Summerville, Zazu Pitts, Marjorie Woodworth, and Tom Brown.
Niagara Falls.jpg

marjorie_woodworth_hal_roach_backlot.jpg

18 00052 Marjorie Woodworthu.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks