What's new

Wall vs a cheap diy screen (1 Viewer)

nick_gr

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Griggs
First of all, thanks for your warm welcoming, Ronald, as I came here looking for a piece of advice and yes, I'm already enjoying your forum.
Recently I got Epson 3100 and now I'm hooking it with my laptop and PS.
My gaming/home theater room is a basement room with no windows, so no ambient light here. The wall I plan to use is completely flat and white, and I've been thinking about repainting it for better results (just in case, I'm looking for suggestions on screen paint color/mix). Of course, I did my homework and checked out some guides before writing this. But according to some forums and reviews, it might be better to make a DIY screen (to my surprise, but I really liked this DIY option). Though I haven't found one thread that actually shows a side by side comparison of screen paint and basic homemade screens (if I missed something like this on here somehow, I'd ask you to share it in comments!).
I'm open to suggestions, as I've already seen that painting wall is not "the least expensive way to go" as I hoped, especially considering the price of paint.
And that's why I'd like to weigh pros and cons of both setups before starting my project.

Yes, I realize results won't be as good as with a proper screen, but right now I don't need it to be HD theater quality.
Frankly, anything would be better than what we have right now and yes, I'm going to upgrade my setup step by step with time. I just need to start. So I'd be more than glad to learn from you.

Thanks again.

Nick.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was intrigued by the DIY screen option until I read this:
Is it a perfect screen? Not even close. For all the advantages the spandex has in terms of price, size, and flexibility, I noticed there is a diffused glow to the way it reflects light. It's actually kinda pretty and ethereal, but it's something videophiles would likely find irritating.
I can live with not perfect, especially for the low price, but I draw the line at irritating.

I have never used the screen paint, but I think it has a pretty good reputation. You could try looking online for a used screen as well - craigslist, offerup, etc.

RickyH

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
I have a "Da-Lite" brand screen (flat white) that I'm happy with. This company has been around manufacturing screens since 1909 and still going. I had one back in the 1970's for film projection (still have it) and picked up a larger one a couple of years ago for my video projector that I use both indoors and outdoors. They are expensive if buying new, but I got a used one in great condition from a seller on Ebay for cheap ($30 or $35 and another 30 for shipping). Like you, I wasn't looking to spend a small fortune, just needed something that worked for me.

TXFlyGuy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
Try painting first...easy, not expensive.

Here is my DIY screen, with the legendary mix of Behr SS / White Opal Pearl:
enhance

enhance

TXFlyGuy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
If you paint you must have a very smooth, perfect wall surface. If not, you will see every imperfection.

You will not see any imperfections in post #4.

That wall was floated with tape & bed mud. Then we hand sanded it until it was almost perfect. A picture is worth a thousand words!

The real secret is in application. "Spray" is the magic word!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks