What's new

Advice for New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

SteelersFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
My wife and I recently purchased a new home. I’m finally getting my man cave back but need some advice on placement of my new home theater. Below are the room dimensions.

Room dimensions

The projector being used will be the BenQ 2150st. I know the Logitech surround sound isn’t the best but that’s what I currently have to use. I’ll be upgrading that unit in a couple of years.

I’m focusing the money on the space itself, the projector, and screen.

Questions:

1. Which wall should the screen go on? (Orange, blue, or green)

2. What size screen? I was thinking 120”. There are no windows so I’ll probably go with a white screen.

3. What’s a good surround sound on budget? One that I could grow into, going from 3.1 to 5.1, would be best for budget.

4. Any other advice you would give someone new who is on a budget?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 4.37.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 4.37.25 PM.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 83

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My wife and I recently purchased a new home. I’m finally getting my man cave back but need some advice on placement of my new home theater. Below are the room dimensions.

Room dimensions

The projector being used will be the BenQ 2150st. I know the Logitech surround sound isn’t the best but that’s what I currently have to use. I’ll be upgrading that unit in a couple of years.

I’m focusing the money on the space itself, the projector, and screen.

Questions:

1. Which wall should the screen go on? (Orange, blue, or green)

2. What size screen? I was thinking 120”. There are no windows so I’ll probably go with a white screen.

3. What’s a good surround sound on budget? One that I could grow into, going from 3.1 to 5.1, would be best for budget.

4. Any other advice you would give someone new who is on a budget?
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum! I'll answer your first two questions, but for 3 and 4 i'll need to know what your budget is.

1. I would go with Blue. It tends to be better acoustically to have a longer theater.
2. As large as you can get based on your seating position. THX/SMPTE have recommendations on how large a screen can be based on your seating position. I'd start with determining how far away you'll be from the screen. From there, you can back calculate the largest screen you can get away with on this tool: https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators
3. I'm always recommending ELAC Debut 2.0 systems, and i'll do so again, if you have a budget in mind that will be helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Elac-Floorstanding-Speakers-Bookshelf-Subwoofer/dp/B07DPY25T4
For receiver/amp, i'd look at accessories4less and pick up a refurbished unit from Marantz or Yamaha.
4. Don't cheap out on your speakers too much. This is a really important investment, so if you're limited at the moment, I'd advise waiting and getting something better that will last.

SteelersFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The projector and screen have already been budget for and we shouldn't have any issue with getting them. The future budget, I'm hoping spring, for speakers is around $1,000. I've read some forums and other articles about how to begin. My budget may work for the 2.0 system starting out and I could add more speakers as needed. Do you think this is the route to go?

Thanks again for your reply!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The future budget, I'm hoping spring, for speakers is around $1,000.

Hey Rob and welcome! Now is probably about the best time to buy anything as Black Friday, Monday [whatever] sales are everywhere. If it isn't in your budget today it might be better to wait until next December.

Alternatively, you might want to look at some used options. Many crazy-level enthusiasts [myself included] often have some excellent gear sitting around that we simply don't know what to do with. In my case I do have two SVS Prime towers and an Axiom VP150 Center in excellent condition. I haven't bothered listing them yet but, PM me if you're interested.

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower

https://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150-center-channel-speaker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks