What's new

Bad tearing when streaming video (1 Viewer)

AlexO

Grip
Hello,

Apologies if it's the wrong subforum to post.

I repurposed an old Asus U35Jc laptop running Windows 7 to serve as a streaming video source (Netflix, Amazon Prime) to an LG 47LM8600 via HDMI. The TV is configured as the only output of the laptop at the native 1920x1080 resolution.

Unfortunately I get horrible tearing when streaming.

Is there any way to mitigate it?

Thank you!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't know what program you're using to play video.

I have noticed when I'm using VLC to play rips of tv show dvds, the tearing is very noticable. The only way I've been able to eliminate the tearing subjectively, is to run software deinterlacing (such as yadif 2x) on the dvd video rips while watching.

AlexO

Grip
I am streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime content straight from the the browser (Firefox and Chrome seem to be equally bad in that regard)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had to look that up. Probably @Sam Posten will be most likely to be able to help you. From what I can tell, the problem is most likely the refresh rate your video card is set to.

AlexO

Grip
It is set up to use the TV as the only output (via HDMI), the resolution is 1920x1080, which is the native resolution of the TV, and the refresh rate is 60Hz. What other settings are needed?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Where are you located? The correct refresh for your TV might be 50Hz.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Canada.

Could it be that the laptop's CPU is too weak to handle it?

Are you actually seeing actual "tearing"?

Or is it actually frames being dropped by the video player (or plugin)?

Actual frames being dropped due to a slow cpu (or slow graphics gpu), would usually be seen as flickering in fast moving stuff on the screen.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Looking more closely at the specs of your linked asus laptop page, the vintage of the quoted cpu models appear to date back to around 2010. I have an old desktop computer from around the same time period, which would probably have a similar cpu vintage + performance.

From what I remember of my old machine from 2009/2010 with Win7, I was only able to play flicker-free hd 1080p video rips (from bluray movie discs) with VLC without much additional processing. Basically minimally playing the 1080p video.

If I used more advanced video players (such as media player classic with or without madVR), the same 1080p hd video rips were basically not watchable due to too much flickering. When I ran "media player classic" to display the realtime statistics, it indicated lots of frames were being dropped.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For VLC: Tools->Media Information->Statistics

In Media Player Classic HC (mpc-hc), the tearing test in the default EVR (custom presenter) renderer:

View->Renderer Settings->Tearing Test

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks