What's new

International Sight & Sound's best blu-rays of 2019 (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It's been yet another terrific year to be a collector. As one of the critics says, "In this age of streaming, it’s surprisingly and actually a wonderful time to be a collector and watch films in a physical format." This is probably the most diverse and interesting yearly list out there - despite having purchased over 200 titles, there are still so many that have slipped me by. I hadn't realised that the Indicator version of the Dietrich/von Sternberg set was better than the Criterion.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-sound-magazine/best-dvds-blu-rays-2019

I will have to put on The Koker Trilogy this weekend.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It's been a good year and for me the Monty Python set and Criterion's War and Peace stand out. Rented the Koker Trilogy from the library and my favorite was And Life Goes On.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks, very interesting. The Sight & Sound magazine was always a bit too posh for me, I was a Films & Filming man (but Sight & Sound had the last laugh, as it's still going). No, The Bad & The Beautiful in any lists, but they were probably compiled before it was released (& the same with the 4th Hammer box set from Indicator). It's been a bit of a disappointing year for catalogue releases for me, but it's all subjective, & I do like a rather narrow range of films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Those lists don't mention picture and sound quality and instead concentrate on the films and the extras. For me, the most satisfying releases are those which present films I like in better quality than has been available for a very long time. So, the French disc of Tender In The Night, Warner Archives' Great Day In The Morning, Criterion's War And Peace, Arrow's The Big Clock and Hold Back The Dawn, Kino Lorber's Diabolically Yours and Koch Media's Waterloo are all in my list of best discs of 2019.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There were some interesting releases I didn’t know about.

I see they released ROOM AT THE TOP. I wish KINO’s edition was as good as the BFI, but it’ll probably be barebones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks