What's new

Annoyed by a broadcast channel (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've discovered a number of movies on the Movies! broadcast channel. They're good about showing them in the proper aspect ratio. Sure, there are commercials, but it's to be expected. However, today they did something that's hard to forgive. They showed The Inspector General, with Danny Kaye. I hadn't seen it in a long time, so I sat down to watch it. To my extreme annoyance, they CUT OFF THE ENDING! It ended right after Kaye's character is exposed as the false Inspector. Un fricking believable. I found the movie on Youtube, and watched the real ending. This sort of thing makes it hard to want to watch broadcast movies.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I noticed that a lot of channels broadcast the same bunch of movies over and over again every month. Maybe they do that because those movies are popular and folks like seeing them but a little variety would be nice.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Honestly? I thought the same thing. I was tempted to subscribe to HBO and Cinemax but I saw a listing for the movies on their schedule and it reads like a who's who of movies from the 80's and 90's, movies I have seen a million times already. HBO and Cinemax used to be known for recent theatrical films, once they left the theater. They certainly aren't the cable channels that they used to be.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I remember in the 1990's when AMC was broadcasting classic films and Bravo with art & foreign films. It was Bravo that I saw the longer version of Heaven's Gate for the first time.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I also am a Movies! viewer, also having found a number of films I've never seen before that I really like. I've probably recorded dozens of them.

I've never seen what you describe and my educated guess is that it was just an accident. It's scheduled again on 12/24, I'll record it and report back.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Some of the reasons you see films on any channel being repeated frequently then disappearing, is due to contractual rights.

A channel may decide to buy broadcast rights for a set period of time, show the film a lot, then the rights expire and the film is no longer available on that channel.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Were you watching the movie live, or off a DVR recording? If a channel is not careful with synchronizing the start or end of a program, you can end up with a bit cut off of the start or end of a DVR recording. Setting the DVR to record a few minutes extra before and after the program may help with this.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I noticed that a lot of channels broadcast the same bunch of movies over and over again every month. Maybe they do that because those movies are popular and folks like seeing them but a little variety would be nice.

Ha! That's why they cut out the ending! They are going to start randomly excising 20 minutes from it whenever it is re-broadcast.

/s

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I've never seen what you describe and my educated guess is that it was just an accident. It's scheduled again on 12/24, I'll record it and report back.
PC was accidentally turned off and I didn't get the recording. Sorry. I'll try again the next time I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks