What's new

Will we ever see a Blu-Ray of "Holiday Affair" (1949) (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Holiday Affair, with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh, wasn't well-received when it came out but has since developed something of a cult following, enough for TCM to honor it in a documentary about the great Holiday films.

So I was quite surprised to find out that Warner has yet to put out an HD copy for sale. Not even a streaming copy. Not even a 4K DCP, which led to my local revival house (which is a well-respected one and has screened 35mm and even 70mm prints before) having to project the movie off a DVD. Seriously.

Maybe the aforementioned following is too small. Or maybe there's something wrong with the camera negative. Maybe even the interpositive? I know that the RKO catalogue was hardly treated very good prior to Turner taking it over. There probably has to be some reason as to why a Blu-Ray for Holiday Affair is unavailable. I can imagine that the Warner Archive Collection gets frequent request letters for this film during this time of year and it would probably sell out in a heartbeat.

Any thoughts?

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I think you answered your own question with your RKO film elements comments.

I kind of figured that the poor treatment of the elements was to blame. I do listen to the WAC podcast from time to time and there have been conversations about how the RKO library has been problematic to maintain, to say the least. But I have never heard anything about what's holding up Holiday Affair, so it was a speculation on my part. Hopefully a pristine film element exists somewhere.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I enjoy listening to the LUX RADIO THEATER version of "Holiday Affair" with Mitchum and Laraine Day in the Janet Leigh part.

Also have the DVD that I watch.
I would buy a Blu-Ray if it ever came out.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Holiday Affair is a great little Christmas film which needs a release. Another is It Happened on 5th Avenue. One of my favourites Cover Up has been released and i recommend a viewing at this time of year.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Holiday Affair

Description: RKO's resident "bad boy" Robert Mitchum (Out of the Past) surprised audiences with his softer side in this classic Yule-themed romantic comedy. Mitchum portrays Steve Mason, a department-store clerk who loses his job, yet buys an electric train set for a child he scarcely knows. It must be Christmastime. Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh are warmly matched in Holiday Affair, a seasonal favorite scripted by Isobel Lennart (later to adapt Mitchum's The Sundowners) and directed by Hope/Crosby "road movies" veteran Don Hartman.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • NEW RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • Lux Radio Theater broadcast (12/18/50) with Robert Mitchum and Laraine Day
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks