What's new

Taika Waititi's untitled Star Wars movie (2023) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-courted-star-wars-movie-1269996

"Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project."

Not a huge surprise after directing the Mandalorean finale.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It would be too smart a move for Lucasfilm to hire someone like him or Favreau.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another flashy hire that promises to bring outside-the-box thinking to Star Wars. We saw how well that worked out for Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Kennedy's Lucasfilm clearly wants to play things safe. And that's fine; just hire safe filmmakers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's what makes me worried about this.

I'm not saying the trades shouldn't have reported this -- they are doing their jobs -- but I do wish that the lid had been kept on this a little bit longer. Even though this isn't an official announcement from Lucasfilm, it doesn't really make much difference because obviously someone leaked it.

Instead of generating flashy news headlines like this, what if they didn't say anything until they had a movie that was actually at the starting line? That would save a lot of embarrassment if things go south, because then we wouldn't know about it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m also annoyed at news stories like this. I would LOVE this film, but I haven’t the foggiest when this may actually hit the screens, nor if it is even going to happen. PLEASE, wait at least until filming is imminent before announcing ANYTHING. This doesn’t do anything good considering the toxic fandom out there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If true, the difference between this and other hires is that Kennedy has an established working relationship with Waititi so she knows what she’s getting. And Waititi has shown himself as capable of delivering a $200 million production on time, on schedule and in a way that meshes with other people playing in the same sandbox.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another thing that seems odd to me is the timing. We know that Disney has set the next Star Wars movie for December 2022. Waititi has Thor opening in November 2021 and once he starts on that will be occupied until it is released, so there's no way he could turn around and do Star Wars for 2022. That doesn't preclude him from doing further development for Lucasfilm at a later time, but given what we know of his schedule, there's just no way it's the next project. Kennedy needs to focus on the 2022 film first. After that is up and running, then she can start to think about other projects.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is this absolutely confirmed? I find that hard to believe at the moment.

Yes, in the sense that Disney has placed a placeholder date on the schedule for an Untitled Star Wars Movie in December 2022. Whether they stick with that date is of course an open question. But it's on the schedule, as are dates for December 2024 and 2026.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
So they stick with the December slot?
I thought or better expected that they would want to move back to May as the opening month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks