What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

The Good Fairy Blu-ray Review
goodfairytop-1024x821.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve not seen this film but based on your review for the production (your writing makes me think is should be a 4.5), the video, and audio this should be rated overall as a 4. You’ve certainly got me interested in it. I don’t think a disc should be downrated for poor extras. Those are for extra credit.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
"...one might need an instant replay to catch all the priceless comic wordplay."

Matt, you're a poet, but do you know ir?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You know, as much as I LOVE Preston Sturges' writing, I have NEVER actually seen this. I DID see the 1947 Deanna Durbin remake I'LL BE YOURS (from that lamentable period when Universal-International did NOT care what sub-par vehicles they prepared for her and she was just working out her contract) and didn't think much of it. The original has always escaped me, though. Based on this, I'm going to finally give it a shot now that I can see it in a worthy presentation.

Thanks for the review, Matt!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
You know, as much as I LOVE Preston Sturges' writing, I have NEVER actually seen this. I DID see the 1947 Deanna Durbin remake I'LL BE YOURS (from that lamentable period when Universal-International did NOT care what sub-par vehicles they prepared for her and she was just working out her contract) and didn't think much of it. The original has always escaped me, though. Based on this, I'm going to finally give it a shot now that I can see it in a worthy presentation.

Thanks for the review, Matt!
True, not one of Durbin's better films, but I like her enough that I would watch any of her films.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
True, not one of Durbin's better films, but I like her enough that I would watch any of her films.

I hear that!! ;)

When I was a kid (back when knighthood was in flow'r), most of her Universal films were packaged on our local PBS Channel and ran pretty regularly. The ones that weren't in the package, SPRING PARADE, IT'S A DATE, and CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY were harder to track down over the years but I did manage it!

Though I have something of a soft spot for SOMETHING IN THE WIND, those last four are pretty rough, with it being pretty obvious that both Universal-International and Deanna were just going through the motions at that point. Her marriage was crumbling and she couldn't wait to get out of "Hollywood."

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought I had a copy of I'll Be Yours (any Deanna gets serious shelf space at my house), but upon checking, it was nowhere to be found, so that has been rectified. DVD arriving Thursday. Like Will, a local station had a syndication package of her films that ran constantly for several years, and I saw all that they showed including I'll Be Yours, but I haven't seen it lately, so I'll be looking forward to revisiting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks