What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Few directors in Golden Age Hollywood were as literate as Joseph L. Mankiewicz. The younger brother of screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, Joseph paid his dues as a screenwriter and producer for Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer – notably producing the classic comedy The Philadelphia Story (1940) – before arriving at Fox and getting the chance to direct as well. All About Eve, coming right off of the heels of the success of A Letter to Three Wives (1949), is an acidic look at Broadway and stardom in general. Previously released on DVD and Blu-ray by Fox, Criterion has licensed the film for inclusion in their collection with this brand new Blu-ray release.

All About Eve (1950)

Released: 27 Oct 1950
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 138 min

Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Genre:...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
So are we saying here that Criterion digitally tweaked the already released 4K master? I read elsewhere it’s from the same 4K master and identical.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great review. I recently watched this and I’m trying to decide between the criterion and the older Fox Blu-ray. I wanted to see the extras.

breeezer

Agent
Real Name
Bryce
I am by no means a sound expert, but I always found that the music cut at the end of the film--when Eve is looking at herself in the mirror--seemed very distorted. And it was always the same in every home video release. Is this a well-known issue, or is it just me?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am by no means a sound expert, but I always found that the music cut at the end of the film--when Eve is looking at herself in the mirror--seemed very distorted. And it was always the same in every home video release. Is this a well-known issue, or is it just me?
I didn’t notice it when watching recently. On the other hand maybe I wasn’t listening closely to the music at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks