What's new

Dragnet 1967 (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I purchased season One again from Amazon. The information says it was released in 2018. The ones I have are the flippers and episode 2 skips and so on. I am assuming the 2018 release is single sided.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new pressing is single sided, and you loose the radio episode from the first. Still worth the upgrade IMHO.

that is ok. I purchased a lot of the radio episodes from I tunes last year there are still 2 volumes out there I need to download.

I really wish I could burn to dvd discs save to a flash drive. But I think DRM would stop me wouldn’t it?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am very curious. In the original Dragnet tv series 1951-1958, there’s an episode The big little Jesus. In the 1967-70 series, there’s an episode called the Christmas Story.

It appears that the writers used the same script in each series to represent Christmas.

I like the episode. But that’s the only time I’ve ever seen that. The exact script and exact characters. Except that in 1968, Friday’s partner and commanding officer are different

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am very curious. In the original Dragnet tv series 1951-1958, there’s an episode The big little Jesus. In the 1967-70 series, there’s an episode called the Christmas Story.

It appears that the writers used the same script in each series to represent Christmas.

I like the episode. But that’s the only time I’ve ever seen that. The exact script and exact characters. Except that in 1968, Friday’s partner and commanding officer are different

Yep. Straight re-do. Jack Webb was a cheap man, and there was a perfectly good script sitting there paid for, for a Christmas episode to be re-used every year.

Though The Big Little Jesus was Dragnet's second attempt at a Christmas episode, replacing the thoroughly fu*king depressing "The Big .22 Rifle For Christmas", because a low stakes funny little Jesus caper was more appropriate to the season than dead children.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Though The Big Little Jesus was Dragnet's second attempt at a Christmas episode, replacing the thoroughly fu*king depressing "The Big .22 Rifle For Christmas", because a low stakes funny little Jesus caper was more appropriate to the season than dead children.

yeah, I have heard the radio version of the Big .22 rifle for Christmas but I haven’t seen the Tv Version yet.

I don’t think it will be any less depressing

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yep. Straight re-do. Jack Webb was a cheap man, and there was a perfectly good script sitting there paid for, for a Christmas episode to be re-used every year.

Reusing the same script every year, and not making anything original-- that is cheap!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Reusing the same script every year, and not making anything original-- that is cheap!
That didn't happen. The script was written by Richard L. Breen, who wrote the 1954 Dragnet movie and many other films. he wrote it because he hated .22 rife for Christmas and felt it was inappropriate. Jack Webb greatly admired his writing and loved the script. It was originally performed on the radio show. Then it was made into a special color (i.e. more expensive) episode of the 1950s tv show. When the series was revived in the 1960s, the script was used for the second season. I think its the best Christmas tv episode ever. You can learn more about Jack Webb and Dragnet in the book My Name's Friday.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That didn't happen. The script was written by Richard L. Breen, who wrote the 1954 Dragnet movie and many other films. he wrote it because he hated .22 rife for Christmas and felt it was inappropriate. Jack Webb greatly admired his writing and loved the script. It was originally performed on the radio show. Then it was made into a special color (i.e. more expensive) episode of the 1950s tv show. When the series was revived in the 1960s, the script was used for the second season. I think its the best Christmas tv episode ever. You can learn more about Jack Webb and Dragnet in the book My Name's Friday.

I might get that book sometime-- might be pretty interesting.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I might get that book sometime-- might be pretty interesting.

mom going to look that up for do

I need to look for that in my local library. It’s not on Apple I books

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Started watching my shiny new Adam-12 single sided discs.

These (and Dragnet 1967 also, I'd assume) really are just straight port overs of the original flippers. They have that damn 2005-era Universal logo at the beginning of the episode instead of the classic Uni after Mark VII.

Well, if that's the only complaint I can manage, it's a 15-year-old complaint and not that bad. I do wish Mill Creek or Shout would wind up putting these on Blu one day, though.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
These (and Dragnet 1967 also, I'd assume) really are just straight port overs of the original flippers. They have that damn 2005-era Universal logo at the beginning of the episode instead of the classic Uni after Mark VII.

Well, if that's the only complaint I can manage, it's a 15-year-old complaint and not that bad.

You're right-- even though these might have had the same exact content and setup as the doubles, at least you're dealing w/singles now, and don't have to worry about the doubles anymore.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm watching the color Dragnet reruns on ME-TV each day. I was in college when this series was revived and never watched it. I had seen the original series, of course, and I was curious what this would be like. I'm at the start of the third season now, and several of the shows have been less about cases and more about preaching the difficulties of the job, the ever-increasing drug epidemic, etc. Apart from the color, Webb's style of acting and directing doesn't seem to have changed an iota from the 1950's run. Harry Morgan adds needed comic relief from the seriousness of the stories and Webb's straight-laced style.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

I really HATE that 2005 logo.

If I had the time, I would edit in the proper logo from the uncut episodes I recorded with my DVD recorder from Canada's Deja View channel. Considering the amount of episodes, that would be a huge task.

I'd probably be better off replacing the ugly SONY logo from the Blue Thunder TV series, with the proper Columbia logo from my ABC broadcasts. A LOT less episodes...LOL

I will take on the Dragnet task when I retire in 16 years. :laugh:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'd probably be better off replacing the ugly SONY logo from the Blue Thunder TV series, with the proper Columbia logo from my ABC broadcasts. A LOT less episodes...LOL

Would love to see it happen, though!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really HATE that 2005 logo.

If I had the time, I would edit in the proper logo from the uncut episodes I recorded with my DVD recorder from Canada's Deja View channel. Considering the amount of episodes, that would be a huge task.

I will take on the Dragnet task when I retire in 16 years. :laugh:

It's only, say, 40ish episodes total with the 2005 logo. 26 Adam 12 and 15? Dragnet.

Shout picked up the series starting with their second seasons and they had everything as it should be.

Now, watching Adam-12, I wonder something that also applies to Dragnet... what the hell was that music they used every time they needed a rock song? Fuzz guitar and an organ. Apparently, it was bigger than the Beatles in the Mark VII universe, because it was everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks