What's new

Denon AVR-X3500 vs. Sony STR-DN1080 (1 Viewer)

gembob

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I'm setting up a 5.2.2 system in my basement and debating between the two noted receivers. I was about to pull the trigger on the Denon, and was deciding between the Polk S55, ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2, and Wharfdale Diamond 240s or 11.3 and was told that the Denon could have trouble powering the ELACs and Wharfdales and they might sound distorted at higher volumes - not sure if that's true?

That's how I came across the Sony, Sony's website says its 165w per channel, but on Crutchfield's website it says 100w? I like the idea of HEOS with the Denon, but Sony says it has multi-room capability (not sure how). I see a lot of people that like the Denon, but it seems like that may mainly be because it has Audyssey XT32? The Sony has Zone 2 prongs, where the Denon would require an amp, but in some reviews I've seen people say that when they turn on Zone 2 with the Sony, it shuts off the other speakers.

Wanted to get some other people's opinions, see if it's true that the Denon wouldn't be good for the ELACs/Wharfdales, and get some overall opinions. Thanks in advance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The issue has a lot to do with the impedance of the speakers, and it has nothing to do with the Denon, but receivers in general from all brands. The ELACs are slightly low impedance, at 6 Ohm. That really shouldn't be a problem. The Wharfdale 240s are 4 Ohm and I definitely wouldn't recommend driving them with any receiver. Even a receiver that has a supposed "4 Ohm" setting. For that, you really should use an external amp that's designed to handle low impedance speakers.

Also, power specs for receivers are all over the place. There are specs being published that don't have any place in reality. Like 1 channel with a 1KHz test tone at 10% distortion. That's a completely worthless number, and would be where the 165W figure came from.

If you like the Denon, get it.

gembob

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
The issue has a lot to do with the impedance of the speakers, and it has nothing to do with the Denon, but receivers in general from all brands. The ELACs are slightly low impedance, at 6 Ohm. That really shouldn't be a problem. The Wharfdale 240s are 4 Ohm and I definitely wouldn't recommend driving them with any receiver. Even a receiver that has a supposed "4 Ohm" setting. For that, you really should use an external amp that's designed to handle low impedance speakers.

Also, power specs for receivers are all over the place. There are specs being published that don't have any place in reality. Like 1 channel with a 1KHz test tone at 10% distortion. That's a completely worthless number, and would be where the 165W figure came from.

If you like the Denon, get it.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks for the info. I re-checked the other speakers, would the Polk be better suited since they are 8ohm? And I assume the Wharfdale Diamond 11.3 would be fine then too since they are 8ohm? Would those be better options than the ELAC since it is 6ohm?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't make your decision entirely based on that. Personally, the Polks would be at the bottom of the list for me. You probably have to disregard the 240s, but the 11.3 and Debuts are definitely worth considering. You might look into Paradigm as well. The Debuts are excellent speakers, which you should definitely consider. don't worry about the 6 Ohm with them. It's not like the X3500 is a low end receiver. You might want to add an A/C Infinity cooling unit, since receivers these days tend to get pretty hot. A little powered airflow can really extend the life of the receiver.

gembob

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Don't make your decision entirely based on that. Personally, the Polks would be at the bottom of the list for me. You probably have to disregard the 240s, but the 11.3 and Debuts are definitely worth considering. You might look into Paradigm as well. The Debuts are excellent speakers, which you should definitely consider. don't worry about the 6 Ohm with them. It's not like the X3500 is a low end receiver. You might want to add an A/C Infinity cooling unit, since receivers these days tend to get pretty hot. A little powered airflow can really extend the life of the receiver.

Ok thanks again for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks