What's new

Set Projector for Two Different Screen Sizes (1 Viewer)

White Pawn

Auditioning
Real Name
White
[New member, first post in forum]

I have been using a projector for my home theater system for several years now, and am due upgrading to a new projector. My system is fairly automated, and I always think about innovative ideas to add new capabilities to my system.

Lately, I have been thinking about the possibility of setting the projector to remember two different screen sizes (zoom positions). The idea is to have a smaller projection area when previews are playing, and then make it bigger when the movie begins. Obviously, the first requirement is to choose a projector with motorized zoom. I need some suggestions/answers to some questions about the whole idea:
  1. Does any projector have settings to remember two different zoom positions to switch between them with one click? A crude way to do this of course is to send the zoom IR signal (using remote or automation) repeatedly, but I was wondering if there was a nicer way.
  2. Does zooming in and out everyday affect wear and tear? Of course it does, but what I mean to ask is - if the zoom mechanisms of projectors are not meant to handle daily operation.
  3. Is there any other way to achieve this effect without using zoom? I know I can manipulate the screen size in software, but I use a dark room for my projector, and you can see the actual projection size if you artificially make the image size smaller in software.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some projectors have zoom memory, and people use them as you’re describing to be a budget approach to dealing with 1.77 vs 2.35 content.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Actually it’s called lens memory. BenQ was the first brand to use it. Panasonic does is very well with the ability to memorize 10 different positions.

White Pawn

Auditioning
Real Name
White
Thanks a lot for the responses. I had no idea such a feature existed. This is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks