https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/west-side-story/id253021356

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Absolutely did!

I was watching the price via Cheap Charts.

Going to watch it today and will report back how good it looks.

Really, the reason why I posted this deal is that I want to show our members what is available via streaming at such an incredible price point.

This movie isn't coming to 4k anytime soon -- or at least I don't believe it is.

This is one of the greatest films ever made and it can be had on 4k for such an amazing price.

If one was going to start their 4k digital library, this would be a great place to start.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
And another Best Picture Oscar winner available in 4K exclusively on digital platforms, Rocky, is also on sale for $4.99!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you want WEST SIDE STORY for $5 it's a no-brainer.

However, it's not a good transfer.

I didn't realize it at first. I am watching it and it seems like it's a notch above the Blu-ray. However, as I get farther into the film I find myself disappointed by the lack of detail. The transfer looks soft/blurred.

Then I find out that MGM didn't even do a new transfer. This is basically the old transfer just upconverted to 4k.

I mean, DR. NO and the other James Bond films on 4k looked much, much better than this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want WEST SIDE STORY for $5 it's a no-brainer.

However, it's not a good transfer.

I didn't realize it at first. I am watching it and it seems like it's a notch above the Blu-ray. However, as I get farther into the film I find myself disappointed by the lack of detail. The transfer looks soft/blurred.

Then I find out that MGM didn't even do a new transfer. This is basically the old transfer just upconverted to 4k.

I mean, DR. NO and the other James Bond films on 4k looked much, much better than this.
I wouldn't say that as I viewed it on my OLED. Perhaps it looks that way on a projector.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, it's true. Something seemed off. I thought it was just me but it was confirmed.
I guess we just disagree then. I agree it's derived from an old transfer, but I did enough comparisons between the DVD, Blu-ray and this digital to be relatively happy with the $4.99 I spent back in 2018, that upgraded to 4K this past November.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When they prepared the film for Blu-ray release way back when (ten years ago?), they scanned the film in 4K and used that 4K scan as the basis for the HD master on the Blu-ray.

This iTunes release is the 4K scan that was created back then. It is genuinely in 4K, but it is not a new transfer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I guess we just disagree then. I agree it's derived from an old transfer, but I did enough comparisons between the DVD, Blu-ray and this digital to be relatively happy with the $4.99 I spent back in 2018, that upgraded to 4K this past November.

Thanks, Josh!

I can only compare it to the best stuff I have seen thus far and that is the James Bond films from the same era.

West Side Story comes nowhere close

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not all 4K scans are created equal, unfortunately. The Bond films were scanned from the original camera negatives and underwent extensive cleanup. West Side Story wasn’t off the negative and didn’t get the same level of care.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I once asked Wise at a showing of SOM if the original 70mm camera negative of WSS existed. I had seen SOM in 70mm plenty of times and wasn't even around for its original roadshow run. He said no.
I don't think 80 Days exist either. Never saw it shown in 70mm or heard of it being restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks