What's new

International The Elephant Man (4k UHD) coming from Studio Canal (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 5.29.42 AM.png

APRIL 6th

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephant-M...rds=the+elephant+man+4k&qid=1579781358&sr=8-1

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I wonder if it will be region free... the previous Blu Ray was...

edit... oh, I see there is also a Blu Ray coming, too. Maybe it will be region free.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yeah, the blu-ray may well be region locked, as Paramount has the North American rights.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The current StudioCanal BD is region locked.

Which once again makes the point - region-free players are a necessity for physical media collectors, more so with each passing day as the market becomes increasingly fragmented due to unprecedented drops in sales.

Discs will be viable in international markets longer than the North American ones.

There will continue to be titles that get disc releases in HD and 4K internationally that will not get physical media releases here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You’d have to ask Paramount why they’ve chosen not to release it on Blu-ray in the U.S. It has long been available for rental and purchase in HD on the various digital services.

Lynch now has a history of refusing to work with companies other than Criterion that want to put out his work, and then publicly calling them out on the quality of the release after refusing to participate. That can’t make anyone eager to release one of his films in a market when sales are already perilously difficult to close.

StudioCanal is contractually obligated to lock their release to Region B because they do not have Region A rights. That’s an unavoidable problem of having different rights holders in different territories.

But as has been noted in his forum countless times, Region A customers can quite easily purchase and view this disc. They simply need to acquire a region free Blu-ray player or modify their own. The modification to do it yourself is generally $50 depending on player. Buying one pre-modded by a dealer costs only $100, maybe $150. Essentially, for the cost of three or four new discs, you can be region free forever.

It’s not unreasonable that StudioCanal must honor its legal and contractual obligations. It’s also not an unreasonably high bar for entry to international releases that dedicated hobbyists in a field with shrinking viability consider a one time $100 purchase to ensure that they can continue to participate in that hobby.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_1077.jpeg

Just finished watching this film on my 110" screen

I haven't seen this film since it was originally released on VHS.

I have never seen anything look this beautiful projected on my screen.

That's not exactly true -- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 4k is just as stunning.

However, that's a color film and this is Black and White. And there is just something unbelievably beautiful about watching a 4k Black and White image. The transfer is just stunning...amazing...flawless...pristine.

I think those of you who are receiving this set and about to watch it are in for a shocking surprise.

I also want to additionally point out how sonically breathtaking the sound mix on this film is, enveloping the viewer throughout.

Be prepared to watch something you won't soon forget. Those who really want to know how much better 4k looks over Blu-ray should look no further than this title (and of course, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA).​

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
No matter how often I see this film, it always moves me to tears. I will look forward to seeing this as soon as I am given Covid-19 leave from my hospital. I'm beginning to feel a bit like a permanent resident inside!

Reactions: PMF

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I finally received my 4K of The Elephant Man from the UK. It as perfect as can be. Magnificent, visually and aurally.

Reactions: PMF

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If you mean the included blu-ray, according to this review, it's region 'B' locked:

Unlike.

Then I will stick the earlier euro Blu Ray. I’m interested to know if someone can compare the earlier Blu to the new one. Ill
Read the review first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks