What's new

CBS Home Video/MOD RIP (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Say bye bye. The department has been dissolved. It remains to be seen as to what will happen as far as any future releases go, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any. Gunsmoke will likely still be finished but as far as anything else goes (Bonanza, Our Miss Brooks, Ben Casey, etc.), I hate to say it but it looks grim.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Say bye bye. The department has been dissolved. It remains to be seen as to what will happen as far as any future releases go, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any. Gunsmoke will likely still be finished but as far as anything else goes (Bonanza, Our Miss Brooks, Ben Casey, etc.), I hate to say it but it looks grim.

Content will likely be farmed out to boutique labels. No worries.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Now, is this both CBS and Paramount's home video, or just a casualty of redundancies after the merger?

The second thing. Paramount took over the department. As I'm not at all interested in movies, I know nothing of how their operation works nor how they are at releasing material. I'll leave that to those who do to comment on if they feel good or bad about this.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The second thing. Paramount took over the department. As I'm not at all interested in movies, I know nothing of how their operation works nor how they are at releasing material. I'll leave that to those who do to comment on if they feel good or bad about this.

Well, the repackagings stand a good chance of continuing, that's for sure. Paramount has repackaged the same Star Trek movie discs about 50 times in a decade.

Other than knowing that, I, too, would have to wait to hear from the movie folk about what the future may hold.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

If you have the patience, take a look at what the Viacom side did for their tv on dvd/bluray releases from Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, etc ... which CBS didn't appear to be involved in at all over 2005-2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom_Media_Networks

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Shout! and VEI will probably get whatever TV shows come out from here on in.

Olive Films and Kino Lorber seem to be the main licensors of theatrical film titles, including anything from Republic other than It's A Wonderful Life as well CBS Theatrical Films and non-Peanuts Cinema Center Films releases. My Fair Lady is the outlier there: that still makes money for CBS, and they took the video rights back from Fox and Warner (who actually made it) to let Paramount put it out the most recent stage of restoration (and eventually a 4k).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I do not believe this to be the total end... I am sure those titles you mention will still be released.

I believe it is just a re-organization of what is happening due to the recent re-merger of CBS and Viacom, as well as the other thing regarding the DVD joint-venture between WB and Universal.

~Ben

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Going slightly offtopic).

For many years, Paramount appears to have been the laggard weak side of Viacom. Even stuff like the Star Trek reboot films, Transformers, GI Joe, etc ... fizzled out. Hasbro also now has their own movie/tv production studio, when they gobbled up eOne last month. So anything not tied down by existing unexpired contracts with Paramount, will probably not be made by Paramount.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/hasbro-entertainment-one-acquisition-3-8-billion-1203453402/

At this point I have to wonder if ViacomCBS will do a mega-merger on the scale of Disney/Fox.

For example, such as buying up Sony's tv/movie production side (ie. Columbia, Tristar, Screen Gems, etc ...) or Lionsgate.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Why did CBS/MOD go out of business? Low sales, not enough people buying the DVD's? My Three Sons seasons 3-5 are a disappointment because of all the edited/compromised episodes.

Maybe VEI can take over some of these CBS releases since they've teamed up with CBS before with shows like, Barnaby Jones, Cannon, Petrocelli, etc.

The Barnaby Jones set is also a disappointment with so many edited episodes, I'd like to see this series get a re-release with every episode complete/uncut but I doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
UGH!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Maybe VEI can take over some of these CBS releases since they've teamed up with CBS before with shows like, Barnaby Jones, Cannon, Petrocelli, etc.

The only way I can see this happening is if VEI's point man at CBS home video division, has been moved to Paramount's home video division. Also if the new Paramount bosses do not veto the decisions of VEI's CBS point man.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Well, the repackagings stand a good chance of continuing, that's for sure. Paramount has repackaged the same Star Trek movie discs about 50 times in a decade.

We all have to remember that Paramount handled distribution for CBS tv shows on dvd/bluray over 2005-2019. Bascially Paramount was willing to handle the releases + distribution of all those giant complete (or partial) series sets, commonly seen at wallyworld.

With Paramount taking over the operations of the former CBS home viideo division, most likely the changes will be reflected in the future decisions of what tv shows to release on dvd/bluray and what to outsource.

The current unknown factor is which individual decision makers from the now-defunct CBS home video division, have been moved over to Paramount's home video division. If this key decision maker is assigned the same responsibilities as they had back at CBS, then most likely the release schedule will probably not deviate much from the CBS home video division era.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If the former CBS home video divison's decision makers have all been fired, then all bets are off.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why did CBS/MOD go out of business? Low sales, not enough people buying the DVD's? My Three Sons seasons 3-5 are a disappointment because of all the edited/compromised episodes.

The Barnaby Jones set is also a disappointment with so many edited episodes, I'd like to see this series get a re-release with every episode complete/uncut but I doubt it will happen.

This is why people don't buy them: we now have movie theater-quality picture and sound in the home. It's not a pipe dream anymore, but an everyday reality. Yet they still cost more than they should for the lack of effort put into them. The "half-season" thing was a price-gouging scam through and through, not doing complete series sets of the few classic shows that did get Blu-rays was a mistake, and you still can't even guarantee uncut episodes that don't look like they were fished out of a dumpster. It's like a freaking roulette wheel with this studio!

If the people who are no longer at the studio are the same people who said no to licensing music on Cheers, Family Ties, Laverne & Shirley, Gomer Pyle, Odd Couple, et al*, the people who said no to remastering Angie, Barnaby Jones, Cannon et al before VEI got them, the people who said no to finishing The Beverly Hillbillies, Happy Days**, Webster, and other shows left hanging, and the people who decided one season of I Love Lucy should cost as much as five seasons of Charlie's Angels, then this may yet prove to be a blessing in disguise.

*And forgot to check the clearances for the Andy Griffith theme song, which are about a thousand dollars per whistle these days.
**From now on "Mork did it" is the only explanation for any post-Shark Jump anachronisms. Think about it: Mork and Mindy was not set in the past, yet he was able to appear in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin of the 1950s before settling in the Boulder, Colorado of the 1970s. How else do you explain their ability to have things no one else in the late 1950s and early 1960s had?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks