What's new

question about HDMI output (1 Viewer)

what4

Auditioning
Real Name
tho
Can't figure this one out. I provide a list and links of my components at the end, but basically I have a 1st gen Fire TV Cube whose HDMI output is connected to a device that takes the HDMI in and outputs HDMI + SPDIF. The SPDIF output goes into the optical input of this really old Sony Home theater system i bought almost 13 years ago. The HDMI output is connected via a long cable to an old Optoma projector.

My projector's native resolution is 720p but supposedly it can input a 1080p signal too (i imagine it does some scaling or whatever the technology is called). For whatever reason, every time my Fire TV cube turns on, it defaults to an auto output setting. The end result is my projector outputs a blinking picture with snow and static and I have to quickly navigate to the display settings menu and manually select 720p 60Hz output before the blinking stops and it permanently becomes snow - sometimes i'm not quick enough and i reboot/turn everything off and on which is a pain because the projector goes through some slow shutdown and then warm up cycle. i suspect the auto display setting is something at 1080 but i have no idea. Once I do select 720p, everything is kosher at that point but it's just so frustrating that the Fire TV cube never saves the output setting at 720p (at least that's what i think is going on). Any ideas? I thought my projector can handle 1080p inputs too but apparently not.

Should i just say screw it and forget about that old equipment and buck up? Would love to find a new receiver that takes multiple HDMI inputs and can output the correct signal to my old projector (still wanna keep my old projector though). Also, can I use my old speakers with the new receiver? or just shoot for a new receiver that comes with speakers?

Fire TV cube first generation

Optoma HD70 projector (OLD! ~2006)
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD70.htm

Sony home theater system DAV IS-10 (super old - got a lot of funny comments last time i posted about it - lol)
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-theater-dvd-home-theater-systems/dav-is10

Portta HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Extra...ocphy=9007577&hvtargid=pla-384002601517&psc=1

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d suggest running HDMI straight to the projector, just for testing purposes and see what happens. Sometimes those conversion boxes aren’t the greatest.

If that works, then you should probably update your gear. Since your current system is rated at 10 ohms, you can use its speakers with a stand-alone AVR, although it will result in slightly less power output than what it will be rated for. The only way to use the subwoofer is if you use the Sony as its amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks