steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Title: Aladdin

Tagline: Wish granted!

Genre: Animation, Family, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance

Director: Ron Clements, John Musker

Cast: Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman, Frank Welker, Gilbert Gottfried, Douglas Seale, Bruce Adler, Brad Kane, Lea Salonga, Jim Cummings, Charlie Adler, Corey Burton, Jack Angel, Philip L. Clarke, Jennifer Darling, Jerry Houser, Sherry Lynn, Mickie McGowan, Patrick Pinney, Phil Proctor, Debi Derryberry, Vera Lockwood, Hal Smith

Release: 1992-11-25

Runtime: 90

Plot: Princess Jasmine grows tired of being forced to remain in the palace, so she sneaks out into the marketplace, in disguise, where she meets street-urchin Aladdin. The couple falls in love, although Jasmine may only marry a prince. After being thrown in jail, Aladdin becomes embroiled in a plot to find a mysterious lamp, with which the evil Jafar hopes to rule the land.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Marcus Theaters has released Aladdin as part of a four weekend 'Enchanted' series.

Enjoyed it today as much as i did in late 1992. Beautifully drawn, voiced, and sung. And Princess Jasmine all day, lol.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marcus Theaters has released Aladdin as part of a four weekend 'Enchanted' series.

You're lucky. I've never heard of Marcus Theaters -- are they a chain? I don't think we have them here. I've wanted to see Aladdin again in a theater for years, but it has never received a wide theatrical re-release from Disney, even though the other three of its contemporaries all did. Now that it's living on Disney+, I don't think they'll do that anymore.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You're lucky. I've never heard of Marcus Theaters -- are they a chain? I don't think we have them here. I've wanted to see Aladdin again in a theater for years, but it has never received a wide theatrical re-release from Disney, even though the other three of its contemporaries all did. Now that it's living on Disney+, I don't think they'll do that anymore.

Marcus Theaters is a smallish chain, they have about 700 screens in about 16 states. In Louisiana where I live, they operate under the Movie Tavern name.

I hadn't seen Aladdin on the big screen since its original 1992 run so it was a treat. The price was just $6, and with my Fandango $5 rewards applied I paid less than $2 fees and tax inclusive. In this series we get the original Lion King next week, then Sleeping Beauty, and Pocahontas after that. Here's their link, you can scroll the locations button:

https://www.marcustheatres.com/marcus-specials/family-friendly-films/disneys-enchanted-tales-2019

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched both of them on D+ after it went live and I liked
the new one more.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seriously tho I thought the Aladdin remake was by far the worst live action Disney remake film I’ve ever seen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought it presented the story with a terrific bookend.
Liked Will Smith’s Genie a lot.
Thought it was more interesting.

This was also the first time I watched the animated original too.
Everything in and outside of the cave was better.
I may have liked it better if I saw it when it first came out. Think I was 29 or 30 then.

Don’t know what to tell yah.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It should come as no surprise to anyone here that I wholly disagree with that opinion. But if the remake worked for you, that's great.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I sort-of-watched it when I put it on for my son a week or so ago on Disney+. I thought it started out horribly but softened to it somewhat as it went. Will Smith was actually one aspect that worked well enough for me. But it was just overall un-inspired. Somehow I can’t explain it in greater detail what didn’t click with it overall. But, admittedly I didn’t quite catch the whole thing. I LOVED Beauty and the Beast 2017, though.

Haven’t watched the animated one in years. I used to love it but I just haven’t had as strong of a desire to revisit it in my adulthood. And I’m usually one nostalgic MF’er.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Some were surprised last year when the remake topped $1 Billion WW. They underestimated the appeal of the original. The original 1992 Aladdin was beloved when it was released and remained so over the years, building up the same kind of goodwill that films like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Finding Nemo, and the Incredibles did.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney contributed to that underestimation by mishandling the original on several occasions following its initial release.

The reason it surprised me that the remake crossed a billion is because the remake is garbage, not because I underestimated the original's significance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think Lion King is far worse. Aladdin is flawed, but in my opinion Lion King was awful.
I can’t imagine anything worse than the Aladdin remake. I believe The Lion King comes to Disney + this week so I’ll see.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Disney contributed to that underestimation by mishandling the original on several occasions following its initial release.

The reason it surprised me that the remake crossed a billion is because the remake is garbage, not because I underestimated the original's significance.

We all have our opinions of course. I saw the remake and didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the original, but not in the 'garbage' category, LOL. It was ... mediocre, IMO.

As for how Disney handled the Aladdin property over the years, I'm not so sure. The 1993 video game was a big commercial and critical success. The two straight-to-video sequels (1994 and 1996) were critically panned but also big commercial successes, selling over 10 million home video copies each. And the 2011 Broadway musical is still going, and is the 11th most successful Broadway play ever.

So the "Aladdin" concept seems to have remained popular over the years.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I had really low expectations for the live Aladdin after the trailers. But surprisingly I quite enjoyed it.

It’s nowhere near the classic that the animated version is, but it was Colorful, I liked the music, and was entertained.

I haven’t watched BatB or LK remakes yet, but I found Cinderella boring and the Jungle Book, (which I had high expectations for) quite dreadful.

To each their own I suppose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the remake played OK as a movie, but the musical vocals were awful. They really should have dubbed the songs.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks