Mean Girls Musical (2024)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Mean Girls Musical

Genre: Musical Comedy

Director: Samantha Jayne, Arturo Perez Jr.

Cast: Angourie Rice, Reneé Rapp, Auli'i Cravalho, Jaquel Spivey, Avantika Vandanapu, Bebe Wood, Christopher Briney, Tina Fey, Tim Meadows, Jenna Fischer, Busy Philipps, Ashley Park, Jon Hamm, Mahi Alam, Connor Ratliff

Release: 2024-01-12

Plot: An adaptation of Tina Fey, Jeff Richmond, and Nell Benjamin's Broadway musical based on the popular 2004 film comedy. Cady Heron is a hit with The Plastics, the A-list girl clique at her new school, until she makes the mistake of falling for Aaron Samuels, the ex-boyfriend of alpha Plastic Regina George.
It was announced last week that Paramount will be remaking Mean Girls as a film adaptation of the Broadway musical which was adapted from the original film. It is following the trajectory of 8 1/2 (Nine), The Producers and Hairspray in returning to the screen after receiving a stage adaptation.

Tina Fey will write the script again, as she did for both the original film and the book for the musical. The score is by Fey's husband Jeff Richmond with lyrics by Nell Benjamin.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...n-of-broadways-mean-girls-musical-1203477247/

It does not surprise me at all that Paramount wants to do this, because the musical is a big success (they also announced the Broadway production's recoupment at the same time) and because the original is a popular piece of IP for the studio with built-in brand recognition. But it does surprise me that this news is coming so soon because the show just opened on Broadway about two years ago. I figured they would wait a little while longer and let the show continue to play exclusively on stage before doing this again.

But now that development has been announced, I doubt it will take too long to come together. Paramount will benefit greatly from this because they are lacking in big franchise IP. I'm not exactly sure if I would call Mean Girls a franchise because they can only do the musical remake once and there's no sequel in it, but it is a big iconic title in their library that is guaranteed to get a lot of attention.

I will be seeing the stage production in April. Based on the cast album, it hews pretty closely to the original material and just puts songs into the characters' mouths. It is probably not the most distinguished show in the canon, but the score is really fun and I am looking forward to seeing it.

No casting has been announced yet, but I was watching the original last night and I thought it would be cool if they got Amanda Seyfried to come back for it. She is too old to play Karen again, but she's probably old enough to play any of the adult women (Cady's mom, Regina's mom or Miss Norberry.) I don't think they should try to put everyone from the original into the remake because that would just seem like a stunt, but having one or two show back up in new roles would be a cool way to tip the hat to the original. Seyfried makes sense because we know she can sing and she has successfully starred in three other screen musicals, so bringing her back is a natural fit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new film will star Angourie Rice as Cady, Reneé Rapp as Regina, Auli’i Cravalho as Janis and Jaquel Spivey as Damien. Rapp previously played the role of Regina on Broadway.

Also, the movie is being made for Paramount+.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a stacked cast, for sure. We know Rapp, Cravalho, and Spivey can all sing at a professional level. I don't think Rice has the same musical theater background?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Composer Jeff Richmond talked with The Hollywood Reporter about the new movie.

Jeff Richmond said:
“We’re super involved with that,” Richmond says. “What we’re trying to do [with the movie] is take the score that sounds like a Broadway score — in a good way — and [give] the movie a fresher palette. To make it sound more like stuff you want to listen to on Spotify, as opposed to when you’re sitting eighth row center at a Broadway theater or the Pantages. It’s kind of making it a fresher, younger take on the whole thing. We’re kind of reinvented the music for the movie, so it’s really fun.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jenna Fischer is Cady's mother.

In the stage version, this role is so small that it is triple cast with the same person playing Cady's mom, Regina's mom and Ms. Norbury. Obviously they have to have different people doing it for the film, but I wonder if they'll add anything for Fisher or not.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Production has begun. Borrowed from the musical's official Facebook page...

330430504_607756421167781_2258743315252385004_n.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Paramount has scheduled a release date for January 12, 2024 in theaters. This is an upgrade from the previous plan as a Paramount+ streaming only release.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For Mean Girls Day today, Paramount unveiled...the new logo. Not the trailer. Not a poster. Just a logo. The musical note in there is a cute idea. But I would've rather had the trailer.

385295784_864758551672066_604729500582187874_n.jpg

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has released the original Mean Girls on TikTok, in 23 separate video chunks. Someone noted that this means they don't have to pay residuals since they're essentially "clips".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've heard that there is a trailer for Mean Girls which is playing before the Taylor Swift movie. But if so, Paramount has not posted it online officially yet.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks