What's new

Kobe Bryant His Daughter and 7 Others Dead After Helicopter Crash (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I couldn't find a more recent NBA thread, so I am posting this news here. CBS broke into the golf broadcast to report that Kobe Bryant was killed when his private helicopter crashed. All five people on the aircraft were killed, but the identity of the four others was not yet known.

@Scott Merryfield - I hope you don't mind but I felt this deserved its own thread. I won't bother posting a link as I'm sure the entire world is now aware.

I spent a lot of today listening to tributes to Kobe, his daughter and also the other souls lost in this tragic accident. Personally, I was never a fan of Kobe during his playing days. His less than inviting persona at times has been well documented and, during his on court years with Shaq, the latter's amazing personality made him an easy favorite for me.

Since his NBA retirement, however, Kobe had become a reinvented man. His love and devotion to his family, his books and other business ventures won me over. Seeing him grow and mature as a man has been something to behold. It's just so incredibly sad to see a persons life cut short when they appear to just be starting what will be the best chapter in their life.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Bryant family and inner circle as well as the families and inner circles of the others who lost their lives in this tragedy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes very sad. This is the poster board for nothing is guaranteed in life- he had it all, then he’s gone in the blink of an eye.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Codolences to Kobe's family.

I didn't follow basketball much after Magic Johnson. But Kobe was one of the few guys I tuned into, whenever he was playing.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Never could get past the early personality and the sexual assault.

Sam... Really??? His wife did and are you blameless? I know I am not. There are also varying versions of what actually happened in Colorado.

I hear you regarding the personality stuff. As previously stated I was never a real fan of early Kobe either but I wouldn't have wished this tragic end upon my worst enemy, let alone this amazing man. Plus, there were 8 other souls on board which you made no mention of.

Kobe Bryant [and I suspect the others] died while trying to be his best self and that is about as honorable as I think any man can be.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not followed the NBA for many years, so sadly my last memory of Kobe was him and Shaq bickering during the 2004 Finals, contributing greatly to the Detroit Pistons easy romp over the Lakers. I had to look up what everyone was talking about regarding his Oscar win.

It's a tragic event, especially for the families of all the passengers who parished during the crash. That must be a horrible way to go. We witnessed an actual small aircraft crash at our South Carolina condo approximately 20 years ago - - the 4 seater struggled leaving the small nearby airport, circled over the ocean, and attempted to return to the airport. When the pilot saw he couldn't make it, he nose dived the plane to an open space between buildings at our complex. My wife was walking our friend's toddler (he's a grad student at Harvard now) through that area to feed the ducks. The plane landed about 75 yards from them, and shrapnel from the crash killed another gentlemen that they had just walked past. She came back to our condo very shaken, obviously, but after she calmed down I walked with her back to the crash site so she could give her name to the authorities, as she was probably one of the few witnesses. The charred bodies were just being removed from the aircraft when we got back on the scene. It was a horrific sight that neither of us will ever forget.

My wife and our friend's son were very lucky that day, and the pilot saved many lives by putting the plane down where he did. Our building was less than 100 yards from where the plane crashed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks