What's new

The Champ (1979) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently watched The Champ for the first time on the DVD. Excellent film. Very sad/poignant, and realistic.

Jon Voight & Ricky Schroder really convinced me that they were actual father & son (in the film) - though I know they aren't in real life. Excellent casting here. Even though the Voight character was a drunk & a gambler, it was obvious he really loved his son & had his best interest(s) at heart. The scene towards the beginning when he won a lot of money gambling & came back for gifts for all of his friends was great; RS's expression when he realized his father hadn't forgotten him was priceless - great acting here.

In fact, "The Champ's" willing to go back into the ring (towards the end of the film) was primarily to make his son proud.

I also liked the Florida setting re: the ocean/beach, horse racing, etc.

The ending was extremely sad, but not at all unexpected. It is a lot more realistic to depict someone that gets constantly pummelled in a boxing match (especially repeated blows to the head) to die from his serious injuries, rather than coming back movie after movie....i.e. the Rocky film franchise. And note this is coming from a huge fan of the Rocky films.

This film is yet another example of why the '70's was the best decade for cinema.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out but I've never seen it since. It was a remake of a 1930s movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fantastic film. Have seen it many times over but probably not in the last 20 years.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The 1931 version was directed by the great King Vidor. It featured a great performance by Jackie Cooper as the Kid, and a hammy one (unaccountably garnering an Oscar) from Wallace Beery as the father.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks