What's new

Sub is make static sound (1 Viewer)

John56985

Auditioning
Real Name
John D
Hi,

I have an Energy subwoofer that is making a static sound, like white noise, when nothing is connected and when connected.

It is a powered subwoofer and no other speakers have this sound when hooked up. The Onkyo amp is new and does not produce this sound in any of the other speakers. Again, the sub-woofer produces this static sound whether it is connected or not.

What component in the amplifier in the subwoofer would be causing this static noise? I am beyond wiggling cables and things being shorted out. Either the speaker cone is bad or there is a pot or capacitor that is bad. What are the usual suspects in this case?

Now the power cable only has two connectors and not a 3 plug with a ground. There is no hum. Just a solid static noise.

I am looking for a board-level or speaker magnetic cone solution.

I have moved the level and cut off adjustments and they do not change the static in any way. I have flipped the phase switch several times but again the consistency of the static sound does not change.

I am comfortable soldering and replacing parts on an amp board.

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks