What's new

Universal Television Logos on DVD? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Does anybody know what DVDs of material Universal Television produced -- whether released through Universal Studios Home Entertainment or sublicensed to Mill Creek or Shout! Factory -- keep the original Universal Television logos intact?

I read not all of them keep them, hence why I am asking you this.

Those that do:
Columbo
Emergency!
The Six Million Dollar Man (one of the 1973 pilots has the 1971 logo but with the 1977 music)
The Rockford Files (the 90-minute pilot and perhaps, "This Case is Closed," also 90 minutes, has the 1973 logo intact, but with the 1977 music)
Battlestar Galactica / Galactica 1980
Street Hawk

Those that don't:
Baa Baa Black Sheep (has Universal Worldwide Television logo instead)
Centennial (opens with the 1997 Universal Studios theatrical logo)
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (first DVD release; some episodes open with the 1997 Universal Studios theatrical logo)
Miami Vice (first DVD releases)

Questionable:
Kojak
Quincy, M.E.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Those that do:
Columbo
Emergency!
The Six Million Dollar Man (one of the 1973 pilots has the 1971 logo but with the 1977 music)
The Rockford Files (the 90-minute pilot and perhaps, "This Case is Closed," also 90 minutes, has the 1973 logo intact, but with the 1977 music)
Battlestar Galactica / Galactica 1980
Street Hawk

Add Mill Creek's all-in-ones of Knight Rider and Miami Vice to the "do" list-- the original Universal releases did not have the Universal logos of the time (outside of that first-season Knight Rider one [1982-83]), but the Mill Creek editions do, and that's why Mill Creek is getting to be a very fine label, IMO (outside of putting so many episodes on a disc, and condensing seasons down to 2-4 discs).

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Murder, She Wrote episodes through at least 7 or 8 seasons are all missing the Universal logo at the end. They gradually worked in the older logo with the 5-note theme somewhere around S8 or S9, then went to the early '90s logo which I think has a 6-note theme. At some point late in the series' run, the Corymore Productions logo preceded the Universal logo.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Murder, She Wrote episodes through at least 7 or 8 seasons are all missing the Universal logo at the end. They gradually worked in the older logo with the 5-note theme somewhere around S8 or S9, then went to the early '90s logo which I think has a 6-note theme. At some point late in the series' run, the Corymore Productions logo preceded the Universal logo.
For the record:
Seasons 1 to 3 had the 1975 logo with the 1982 jingle (normal tone)

Seasons 4 to part of 8 had the same 1975 logo, but with the 1986 jingle (low tone version on this episode). The 1989-early 1991 episodes of Columbo had the same logo.

Both the 1982 and '86 versions of the jingle (as well as the 1980 version) had lower-tone versions, and the 1986 version also had warp-speed versions.

Most season 8 episodes used this version of the 1991 logo, also seen on the 1991-92 season of Columbo

Starting from season 9, with the addition of Corymore Productions before it, the UTV logo used is now the IAW version

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
For the record:
Starting from season 9, with the addition of Corymore Productions before it, the UTV logo used is now the IAW version

~Ben

That's why the Universal logo now had that IAW wording across the top of it-- because they were by that point working with somebody (IIRC, Corymore was Angela Lansbury's card that was used for Murder, She Wrote). Before, when it was just Universal, there was no need for an IAW, so that's why the logo said "From" (albeit I still do not understand, and never will, why on The A-Team, the first go of that one had an IAW on the Universal logo before that cut to the Cannell card; eventually, Universal wised up and used a "From" above, and an "And" below, then had the Cannell card come in first with a wipe, then later with a fade [IIRC]).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The complete series DVD of It Takes A Thief has the "Universal City" bumpers displayed after the closing credits. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
As does any good series/season DVD release!

Agreed. I was a little late to the party buying the It Takes A Thief set, but I'm glad I finally got around to it. Uncut episodes, bumpers included, audio levels in the episodes are crisp/clear, very enjoyable set.

I'm glad there were no music clearance issues with the episode A Very Warm Reception. Episode is uncut and includes the party scene when the band performs the song "Dear Undecided". :)

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I will never understand this fascination, and to some an obsession, with the studio logos. :)

Oh, from a history standpoint, they are important - but it doesn't bother me much if a show ends with the current logo, as long as the show itself isn't edited. Yeh, I know for some the new logos can be a little distracting - especially if they are radically different from the originals - such as The Sony Television logo rather than the Columbia Pictures Television, Screen Gems or Colex logos.

It's the new studio-owner logos at the BEGINNING of Films that annoy me - when they put the new logo but don't retain the original logo.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I will never understand this fascination, and to some an obsession, with the studio logos. :)

Oh, from a history standpoint, they are important - but it doesn't bother me much if a show ends with the current logo, as long as the show itself isn't edited. Yeh, I know for some the new logos can be a little distracting - especially if they are radically different from the originals - such as The Sony Television logo rather than the Columbia Pictures Television, Screen Gems or Colex logos.

It's the new studio-owner logos at the BEGINNING of Films that annoy me - when they put the new logo but don't retain the original logo.
What is odd, however, are the few Universal Studios Home Entertainment DVD releases of 1-hour TV shows such as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (meaning the first DVD releases) and the 12-episode miniseries James A. Michener's Centennial (which has sorely only been released once on DVD), both of which place the 1997 Universal Pictures logo before the main titles, and deleting the original Universal Television logos from the end titles.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I think I recall saying it before, but a lot of us are obsessed to this end because if you see an old show on DVD, and then see the newer logo (or a newer logo) of the people behind it (like, say, the CBS/Paramount Television logo on Laverne and Shirley), it would make it seem like Laverne and Shirley was made today by CBS/Paramount, when in reality, it was made by Paramount Television (Paramount Television at the time of Laverne and Shirley being "A Gulf+Western Company"; now Paramount is "A ViacomCBS Company"), and as such, would seem to be somewhat jarring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks