What's new

Explanation from Shout about "Very Bad Things" release! (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
A message from Shout! On the Very Bad Things, very bad transfer:

The original SD DVD master was created when the film was released in 1998/99 by Polygram. The HD transfer found on our Blu-ray was created from a 35MM IP by NBC/Universal.

NBC/Universal advised us that when creating new transfers from film elements, there are often minor differences in framing, especially when going from an SD transfer to an HD transfer.

NBC/Universal does not hold rights for Very Bad Things in Germany. They were not involved with the German Blu-ray release or the HD transfer used for that release.

They created and approved the transfer found on our Blu-ray. We will not be offering a replacement program for this release. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was thinking about getting this. What’s wrong with the transfer- framing issues, or does the
picture look less than it should? Thanks.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Looks like the Shout Factory version is in super
zoom compared to the other version. Is that the old Polygram DVD that is used for comparison?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Has anyone ever heard of different picture framing when going from SD to HD?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! Was there ever an explanation or resolution to that issue?

No. I never really looked into it. I just took it as a change I had no control over like color timing, and moved on. Not to say I like it, but it is what it is.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I conducted some additional research. It looks like this does happen on occasion and it isn't studio or label specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks