What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon submitted a new blog post

Weekly RoundUp 2-25-2020
WRU-Banner-2019-1024x661-copy-1024x661.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work, Mike! :)

This is a big week for me with two of my favorite movies of last year coming out simultaneously. I'm springing for the steelbook edition of Frozen II and am really glad I pre-ordered it a while back, because as of right now Best Buy's website won't accept new orders for store pickup at my location. I think the artwork on the standard Blu-ray edition is terrible, and it is a very special film to me, so I'm glad the steelbook has appropriately gorgeous artwork and that I was able to reserve one.

The steelbook for Knives Out looks awesome, too, but according to Best Buy, that one isn't available anywhere near my location, so I just have the regular Blu-ray edition on the way from Amazon. Even though I don't like the standard edition's artwork, it isn't worth the trouble to me to chase the steel. Also, I don't really need the 4K edition -- I only take those when I want the steel cases -- so by not getting that, I'm saving myself the money because I can just go with the Blu-ray version. This doesn't mean I wouldn't take the steelbook if it were easier to get locally, but I just got to a place where I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I don't get one.

If I was going to be able to get one but not the other, I'm glad the one I got is Frozen II, which -- even though I love both -- is more important to me than Knives Out.

Anyway, Walmart also has an exclusive edition of Frozen II in 4K for $32.96. Theirs includes what appears to be a slipcover with different cover artwork, and their digital codes will unlock a couple extra featurettes on Vudu than codes from other editions;: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-F...ve-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/740413181

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike.

Yep, there are definitely some must-haves for me this week. Looking around for the best deals.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Will order 3D of Frozen II from Amazon UK in the near future, and likely get Knives Out at some point.

Will probably catch Zombeavers on cable. :emoji_see_no_evil:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just remember, you can't spell "Frozen" without Frezon... :unsure:

So are you getting it, then? ;)

It will be interesting to see how Frozen II performs on home video. The original is the #1 best-selling Blu-ray of all time, and a lot of people will want to add the sequel to their collections alongside it.

But this is also Disney's first major blockbuster to be released on Blu-ray after Disney+ has already launched. I'm still going to buy the disc for sure, no question, but I have to wonder how many people are going to wait for it to arrive on Disney+. (Of course, to be fair, the same thing could be said for Disney theatrical releases from 2016-18 and Netflix, and those didn't have their sales numbers hobbled as far as I know.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Criterion Flash 24HR sale appears on deck starting Feb 25 Tuesday Noon ET

Of course it is. This is good news, but why is it that the Criterion flash sales always seem to happen right around the same time that I dropped a lot of money on other titles? I could've used this to grab Roma, but now it will have to continue to wait.

In other news, miracles do happen. I was able to find and reserve a copy of the steelbook for Knives Out after all. My local store (where I'll be picking up Frozen II today) doesn't have one, but another store about 8 miles from here newly listed it this morning. When I saw it marked as available, the website said there were only two left, and by the time I got through reserving my copy, it was no longer listed for pickup at that store. So it appears I got the last one. This means I'll have to go to two different Best Buys this week, which is a little ridiculous, but I'll do it.

This is also the first time ever I've actually gotten two different steelbooks in the same week -- and of course, even though I'm glad to get them, they're pricey. This is why I really can't use the Criterion sale to grab Roma, even though I would normally jump all over that. Ah well. I'll take the win in being able to find Knives Out and be happy.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you are only going to get a single title and pay the $7 shipping, you are probably not much better than ordering it elsewhere during a mini sale -- or waiting until July and picking it up at B&N.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone interested in the Target version of Frozen II should know that the behind-the-scenes material in their book is an excerpt from The Art of Frozen II, which is available in a more elaborate hardcover edition on its own. The other part of the Target book is an excerpt from the graphic novel based on the film, which I'm pretty sure is also available individually. So the only thing that you can't get anywhere else is the digipack packaging itself.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For those that care about such things, Wal*Mart has an exclusive lenticular cover for the 4K of Frozen II. It was $32>9X as opposed to the standard 4K which was $29.9X.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks