What's new

Email Addresses...Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Like everyone else I get the occasional email I don’t trust. Lately Netflix has been sending me emails as if I were a new customer instead of the old timer I am. So I check the sending address and it’s info at mailer dot Netflix dot com. Does the the Netflix dot com as the final portion of the address mean it’s legit or could it still be phony.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I get several advert emails a month from info(at)mailer(dot)netflix(dot)com. I always ignore them but I think that’s probably a legit email addy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve also been getting those Netflix emails and ignoring them, as I haven’t been subscribed under my name for years.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve also been getting those Netflix emails and ignoring them, as I haven’t been subscribed under my name for years.
What I’m wanting to determine is whether ending the email address with a domain name I know to be legit, makes the whole thing legit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What links or email addresses are within the body of the email? It sounds legit. But it might be phishing, spoofing as from Netflix with the phishing links in the email itself.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What links or email addresses are within the body of the email? It sounds legit. But it might be phishing, spoofing as from Netflix with the phishing links in the email itself.
When I click on the link in the email it takes me to netflix dot com with a whole lot of typical trailing stuff. I think it’s valid.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What I’m wanting to determine is whether ending the email address with a domain name I know to be legit, makes the whole thing legit.

I have a guess for what’s happening, based on something that just happened to my wife’s active subscription.

I think Netflix may have been targeted for a phishing/account login stealing scheme. Someone got into her account and changed the password and appeared to have set up a new secondary profile but didn’t do anything to mess with the billing info. Maybe a wholesale scam to get access to the service for free, and sell or swap working logins on the black market?

I did have an account but it’s been inactive for years. So I’m guessing someone tried to log in, was able to do so, but couldn’t actually watch anything and didn’t have any saved billing info in there to turn it back on, so they gave up and moved on. Meanwhile, Netflix has now noticed activity on a once dormant account, and is now thinking that I had considered rejoining and is trying to get me back as a member. So it’s a legitimate email inspired by illegitimate activity.

I’m not sure if that makes sense but it’s the best guess I have at the moment.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
When I click on the link in the email it takes me to netflix dot com with a whole lot of typical trailing stuff. I think it’s valid.

Woah Man oh man. Never ever click on a link that you think is suspicious.

Ever.

If you get emails from an account that you already have or had in the past go to a browser and click into that website and check there.

If you aren’t sure you should so that call them and ask about it.

I occasionally would get messages from Directv that offered some fantastical type of discount.
I called and they immediately told me it was a fake phishing attempt.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like everyone else I get the occasional email I don’t trust. Lately Netflix has been sending me emails as if I were a new customer instead of the old timer I am. So I check the sending address and it’s info at mailer dot Netflix dot com. Does the the Netflix dot com as the final portion of the address mean it’s legit or could it still be phony.

If I am understanding your question the answer is it can stll be a phony and not legitimate email. It is unfortunately too easy to spoof the email address the email is coming from and that doesn't make the email legitimate. Be very careful of any emails. I get messages claiming to come from myself, with my legitimate email address. Doesn't make it legit, as I didn't send it.

I always recommend to anyone to NEVER EVER use a link in an email. Easier to just go directly to the website in question so you are not unwittingly going to a fake site that looks legit.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I got some email from Netflix - but have never had nor plan to have an account so flagged it as SPAM without giving it another thought. I googled the email address Johnny posted and it's what Netflix uses. Here's a snippet from the article I read:

According to Netflix, communications emails will always come from the address [email protected]. If you receive a message from this address (or an address that looks like it), and aren't sure if it's trustworthy, you can always go to Netflix and reach out to customer service about the problem directly.

That's exactly what I do with *any* email from *any* service/company I normally do business with. If it sounds interesting or suspect I go to them directly to ask.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think everyone should take this advice...

Never use an email link to open and execute any high profile account that includes a bank, streaming service, stock or retirement account or the like.

I get notices all the time from the bank there is a private message waiting for me. I just go to my banking site and open it through the browser to check. Many times, there is no message waiting and I realized I was being phished.

Banks will even tell you never to access your account through any email that is sent to you.

As long as you take the attitude never access anything private through email, you will always be safe.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Yeah, I got a similar email recently. Although the kicker is, I've never signed up for Netflix, my wife did and we use her account, and secondly the email was in Vietnamese. Which I do not understand at all, I'm not from Vietnam (and indeed have never been there), nor am I ethnic Vietnamese nor is my name remotely Vietnamese in origin. So that was quite bizarre.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I worked for one of the big4 (Now 3) wireless communications companies, part of the training was that they showed us how to detect a Spoofing e mail. It was part of QC to explain it to the customer if the call was about anything having to do with e mail

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks