What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Aeons ago, I was given the thrill of driving one of the original 1960s Shelby Cobras.

While there's not a thing wrong with modern vehicles, with all their electronics, it was a unique visceral experience. Beyond cars that I've owned over the years, probably the second and third would be a beautiful yellow DB 3 roadster, and a Mercedes 1936 500K cab, which was a frightening experience.

None of these are to be trifled with.

Most recently I was a passenger in one of the GT40s produced for street use in the early '00s and hit my head nicely whilst attempting to exit. Impressive.

One might presume that someone who loves cars, will also love James Mangold's Ford v Ferrari, and I believe that's correct.

It's actually a terrifically entertaining, and well-made film.

The film was finished in 2k, but there's a viable reason to go for the 4k release, and that has to do with the audio tracks, and this one which took the Academy Award deserves to be heard at full revs.

The caveat here, and I'm certain if it's a Fox / Disney thing, or just concerns this release, is that the Blu-ray doesn't give you the Dolby Atmos, which is the theatrical audio. In it's place, you're given DTS-HD 7.1.

While this won't affect those who have not yet upgraded to Atmos, it makes a big difference.

HDR works nicely, and doesn't get in the way.

If one checks the tracks on Warner's release of Dr. Sleep, Atmos is offered on both the Blu-ray as well as the 4k, but more on that in the Doctor Sleep words.

Ford v Ferrari is well worth the investment and your time, unless you hate cars, Damon or Bale.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 - 4k - Dolby Atmos
Blu-ray - DTS-HD MA 7.1

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A very well made and entertaining film, despite Damon doing his best Tommy Lee Jones impersonation as Shelby. ;) Bale was excellent, and as has been mentioned, the Atmos track is simply to die for. My wife and I loved it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A very well made and entertaining film, despite Damon doing his best Tommy Lee Jones impersonation as Shelby. ;) Bale was excellent, and as has been mentioned, the Atmos track is simply to die for.
Right, I watched this movie twice in the movie theater including a Dolby Cinema theater. I'll be purchasing this 4K disc later this year when it is more reasonably priced.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went out of my way week before last to secure a Steelbook copy of Ford V Ferrari because I liked the artwork on it. I didn’t see this in theaters as I rarely go and wait for the disc instead.

I was really looking forward to seeing this film being a car, Ford Mustang and racing fan. So I’m familiar with Shelby, but not the Le Mans Story in 1966. I could tell watching the movie that certain events were simplified, altered and made to suit the film’s narrative. Regardless it is an entertaining film.

I have an older Rotel sound processor that’s 7.1 that is not Dolby Atmos and I set it up as a 5.1 system. So I couldn’t tell if I was hearing what I was supposed to be hearing, some directional effects occurred during the big Le Mans race but were hard to hear. I just might look into a new processor for the new audio formats sometime soon. Though I’m not keen on adding more speakers in the room.

Glad I have the disc though and plan to watch it again soon.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven’t seen the film yet, but the tv trailers show some poor shmuck getting a demo ride. His reactions deserved an Oscar nod just for those 20-30 seconds. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And this movie’s obvious center is the relationship between Shelby and Ken Miles. That what I really take away from the film. But yeah, the motivation is to beat Ferrari.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I loved the coda to Ford's ride with Shelby. It gives it a much different feel than you assume watching the excerpt in the trailer.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Has anyone had an issues with defective discs? chapter 25 doesn’t seen to work on the UHD. I tried on 2 players and it’s the same thing. I’m able to jump ahead to the next chapter, but that’s it.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Has anyone had an issues with defective discs? chapter 25 doesn’t seen to work on the UHD. I tried on 2 players and it’s the same thing. I’m able to jump ahead to the next chapter, but that’s it.

Works fine on my Panasonic DP-UB9000. No issues.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
That poor shmuck was Henry Ford II, Chairman of Ford.
We have a family friend who was good friends with Carol Shelby. Shelby told him that Henry Ford II crapped his pants during that ride. They alluded to it when Phil Remington turned to Leo Beebe during the scene and said something like "this is the point where people evacuate their bowels"

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Look for a contact for Fox customer service online. I bet they can swap it out for you. Also depending on where you purchased it, if you used a CC they will probably have a record of it.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I probably just got a defective disc and it’s not common to others. Too bad I threw away my receipt. Looks like I’m purchasing another copy.

Another thing to try, and I know this sounds weird, is to clean the disc, even if it LOOKS clean. This has saved my bacon several times in the past with 4K UHD titles.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Another thing to try, and I know this sounds weird, is to clean the disc, even if it LOOKS clean. This has saved my bacon several times in the past with 4K UHD titles.
This one I did clean and it still didn’t work, but, and this is probably for another thread, how do you clean your discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks