What's new

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
logo_htfp-1024x1024.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Spoilers
Join Brian Dobbs and Sam Posten as they talk about spoilers and movie secrecy. Are today’s audiences too spoiled? What’s the worst you’ve ever had a movie spoiled on you? Are guesses spoilers? Are we exposed to too many trailers and what exactly is the trailer industrial complex? Is fan culture causing more movies to be spoiled?

Subscribe via RSS
Subscribe via iTunes / Apple Podcasts
Subscribe via Spotify
E-mail us at [email protected].

Show Notes

terminator-genisys-55ed4c2074180.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t really worry about direct spoilers from individuals as people are usually pretty decent about not revealing stuff one-on-one.

What’s more troublesome to me is this entire cottage industry of “weaponized spoilers” that pop up immediately as a film is opening or a show is airing, so that it becomes impossible to ignore what’s happened in a program. Clickbait headlines like, “You’ll never believe who dies at the end of the new Marvel movie” or “the major Star Wars twist you never saw coming” - headlines like that end up giving away the entire game even if you don’t click on the article. If you know someone is gonna die going into a movie, you can usually figure out who before it happens. If you know there’s a twist in advance, you’ll see it coming a mile away. Even if the article itself has a spoiler warning, the headline usually does more than enough damage.

For the new Star Trek show “Picard,” CBS All Access puts up new episodes weekly at 3am ET/12am PT. I’m on the east coast. If I don’t watch it at 3am, some clickbait headline is gonna ruin it for me when I wake up in the morning.

I never liked or watched Game of Thrones, and yet I know every major plot point and behind the scenes drama just because of the relentless coverage.

There’s an argument to be made for not spending so much time online, but the counter argument is that if you’re someone who needs to use the internet as part of your job (a description that applies to more and more of us all the time), that’s simply not practical advice.

The cynic in me wonders: is all of this happening on its own as traditional media is replaced by fan sites and influencers desperate for attention and instant gratification, or is this part of advertising effort by studios and content producers to create a sense of false urgency about needing to see things right away, being done to drive up opening weekend box office and TV/streaming ratings?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
The cynic in me wonders: is all of this happening on its own as traditional media is replaced by fan sites and influencers desperate for attention and instant gratification, or is this part of advertising effort by studios and content producers to create a sense of false urgency about needing to see things right away, being done to drive up opening weekend box office and TV/streaming ratings?
(Ahem) Yes.

John Burton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
"Mask" the 1984 movie starring Cher..not "The Mask" with Jim Carrey. A friend was talking to me saying he just watched it and "it was really good... he dies." I still remind him of this to this day.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Movies totally ruined for me include The Sixth Sense and Seven. But the one that really pissed me off is The Phantom Menace. I'm standing in a hobby shop talking to a friend about Star Wars and the anticipation of the new movie coming out. This was three weeks away from the release of Phantom Menace. Guy walks in and hears us talking, so he interjects himself into the conversation. The topic of Liam Neeson had just been brought up and this guy says "Does he play Guy Gon Jinn or Kwai Gon Jinn? He dies by the way."

I wanted to throw the guy through the glass door of the hobby shop at that moment.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I remember my friends and I leaving the auditorium after Return of the Jedi on opening day and loudly revealing fake spoilers. :rolling-smiley:

I miss those days....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Brian Dobbs @Sam Posten
Love "Trailer Industrial Complex" :D

However, that's about as far as I've gotten.

The podcast opens with a big spoiler bomb, no warning to the listener. The rules seemingly established for this episode, I'm listening in anxiety of more major spoilers to be dropped on me. So, I've stopped for the moment until I can check: Is the episode spoiler-riffic? Or can I safely listen?

(Related: I'm a fan of The Incomparable's Spoiler Horn to announce pending spoilered discussions. I'd post a link, but I can't quickly find a specific example. )

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Crying Game was spoiled for me, by no less than Siskel & Ebert who didn't even realize what they were doing! You see, when they talked about
the Jaye Davidson character, they used the gender-neutral term "the lover" of Forrest Whittaker's character, and they said that this character had a "secret". I noticed that throughout the review they purposefully avoided using pronouns when talking about the character. My antenna went up and I instantly knew the secret.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d almost call that a spoiler by omission and my radar is up for that. Anytime someone tells me (or if i see a clickbait headline that says) “You’ll never see the twist coming” then I’m on the lookout for it from the start and I do see it coming.

Then there are times with a movie like “The Village” (which I did like):
The movie begins in what appears to be a colonial American time period but for all of the incredible period detail in the opening scene, the film never once throws a date onscreen, which is unusual for a period story. That immediately led me to suspect that it took place in the present day. I catch that kind of thing almost every time. If you start your story in an environment you’ve gone to great lengths to craft but don’t throw in the little detail of what it’s supposed to be, I’m going to take that as the filmmakers hiding something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks