What's new

Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) BFI Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Can confirm that the BFI blu ray released this week is the same restored version that Pathé released in 2018. The French release doesn't have English subtitles, whereas the BFI has the legendary Anthony Burgess translated subtitles in rhyme. The picture is just like the film release was - there are a lot of dark and murky indoor scenes, so the cinematography is not quite as picturesque as, say, Jean de Florette. Criterion, Cohen or Kino should have licensed this master for Stateside release but until they get round to doing so, the region 'B'-locked BFI version is the one to get. Ken Koc and all other lovers of French cinema should rejoice! A fantastic, romantic classic.

cyrano_de_bergerac_bd_full_front.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is my favorite version of the story, including ROXANNE. Glad to see it. Now to afford it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Does this Bluray have any extras?
Any chance of a review?

I've long awaited for this film to get a release with English subtitles...

(Here's hoping for The Horseman on the roof to get a similar english-friendly release)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Does this Bluray have any extras?
Any chance of a review?

I've long awaited for this film to get a release with English subtitles...

(Here's hoping for The Horseman on the roof to get a similar english-friendly release)
There are quite a few special features on this blu-ray (I haven't checked any of them out yet).
  • Full-length feature commentary by Ginette Vincendeau: the King's College London professor of film studies, provides a detailed contextualisation of the film via a consideration of its literary, aesthetic and historical origins
  • Interview with Gérard Depardieu (12 mins): the actor discusses making Cyrano de Bergerac
  • Interview with Jean-Paul Rappeneau (8 mins): the director discusses the influence of Augusto Genina's 1923 version of Rostand's classic play
  • Anthony Burgess with AS Byatt (1987, 58 mins): Burgess discusses his beliefs, work and creative methods - as well as his views on language and the arts - with author and critic AS Byatt
  • Gérard Depardieu in Conversation (1987, 76 mins, audio only): the Cyrano de Bergerac star talks candidly about his acting career before Cyrano with author and film critic Derek Elly in a wide-ranging interview, recorded on stage at the National Film Theatre
  • Image gallery
I did an A/B comparison with the French 2011 blu ray version. I found the picture very satisfying - much better than original French release. The French blu rays don't have English subtitles or any special features in English either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks