What's new

I Am Not Okay With This (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was stuck home today with a stomach bug and gave this a shot because, at seven 20-minute episodes, it wasn't a huge time investment.

Most of the show is pretty standard issue coming of age stuff, albeit well-written and well-executed.

But the reason to seek this show out is Sophia Lillis's central performance. She is phenomenal, as an alienated teen still grappling with her father's suicide a couple years prior, her fractured relationship with her mother, coming to terms with her sexuality, and -- oh, yes -- her emerging superpowers that seem straight out of a Stephen King novel.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Funny, I watched the first five episodes today, came here to find there wasn't a thread. I was just coming back to start one, but of course, you beat me to it. Adam, seriously, you watch a lot of TV shows.

OK, so the sarcastic side of me was tempted to say, "loner teenage girl with a single mother and telekinetic powers. I guess it's no different from Carrie." Of course, it's nothing like Carrie, even though it's virtually the same premise. It's a nice little show. the episodes are so short, it's an easy distraction, I think it's enjoyable, and I agree that Miss Lillis is quite good in it.

I just like this kind of light character drama, that really isn't quite as light as it might appear. It's a welcome reprieve from all the heavy stuff that's inundating cable and streaming shows.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m trying to deduce when this show is set. Somewhere around 1990, I think. I don’t want to look it up. I’d rather figure it out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I’m trying to deduce when this show is set. Somewhere around 1990, I think. I don’t want to look it up. I’d rather figure it out.
Given the smartphones and the main character talking about the nineties like they were ancient history, I would say it's set in the present day.

What skews the aesthetic is that it's set in a rustbelt Pennsylvania town that hasn't changed in decades, and Syd's friend Stanley has very retro tastes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Given the smartphones and the main character talking about the nineties like they were ancient history, I would say it's set in the present day.

What skews the aesthetic is that it's set in a rustbelt Pennsylvania town that hasn't changed in decades, and Syd's friend Stanley has very retro tastes.
It’s a little convoluted. The music seems to all be retro. There was a current style LCD TV, with the wide feet in the final episode.

There has to be more episodes coming soon, since it’s just getting going.

Oh and LOL, it’s a little more like Carrie than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks