Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Candyman

Tagline: Dare to say his name.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Nia DaCosta

Cast: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Tony Todd, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Colman Domingo, Vanessa Williams, Cassie Kramer, Rebecca Spence, Kyle Kaminsky, Carl Clemons-Hopkins, Cedric Mays, Christiana Clark, Nancy Pender, Malic White, Aaron Crippen, Hannah Love Jones, Sarah Lo, Dan Fierro, Ashland Thomas, Matthew J. Valadez, Hans Dieter Wolff, Brian King, Pamela Jones, Miriam Moss, Mark Montgomery, Genesis Denise Hale, Rodney L Jones III, Heidi Grace Engerman, Torrey Hanson, Tien Tran

Release: 2021-08-25

Runtime: 91

Plot: Anthony and his partner move into a loft in the now gentrified Cabrini-Green, and after a chance encounter with an old-timer exposes Anthony to the true story behind Candyman, he unknowingly opens a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifying wave of violence.

The first trailer for the upcoming Candyman remake, produced by Jordan Peele and directed by Nia DaCosta, has been released:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Actually looks pretty good. I always liked the first two movies. I know they made at least three but not sure if I saw anything past the second. Happy to see Coleman Domingo.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw an ad for this on TV today. Looks like it comes out next Friday, August 27.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I liked it a LOT in Dolby Cinema. That said the 3rd act is a bit sketchy and I'm going to have to scour some smarter critic's reviews to dig into the racial overtones and themes. Obviously the film is making points against systemic racism, intergenrational trauma, and the role of the artist in a navigating commercial success vice staying true to their voice and passion, but the final showdown actually seems to undo some of that in favor of "sometimes violence really is the answer" which seems.... counterproductive at best.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have to scour some smarter critic's reviews to dig into the racial overtones and themes. Obviously the film is making points against systemic racism, intergenrational trauma
I haven't seen this one yet, but given the mythology around the character -- going back to the first film in 1992 -- this horror franchise is better suited than most to tackling those themes.

🐝🍯🐝🪝

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I haven't seen this one yet, but given the mythology around the character -- going back to the first film in 1992 -- this horror franchise is better suited than most to tackling those themes.

🐝🍯🐝🪝

Indeed and Peele is the guy you want in the drivers seat. While he produces and contributes to the writing, the film is not entirely his tho.

here’s one smart take:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks