What's new

YouTube TV dropping Fox regional sports channels (1 Viewer)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I just "cut the cord" and went to YouTube TV a couple of weeks ago. So I was a little bummed when I saw the email yesterday. This doesn't affect BTN correct?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I will be doing 1 of 2 things. I get MLB.TV from T-mobile but, I can't watch the Braves because I live in their home market (stupid archaic MLB blackout rules). So, I'll either look into using a VPN to get around the blackouts or switch to Hulu Live TV.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I will be doing 1 of 2 things. I get MLB.TV from T-mobile but, I can't watch the Braves because I live in their home market (stupid archaic MLB blackout rules). So, I'll either look into using a VPN to get around the blackouts or switch to Hulu Live TV.

I was going to go with Hulu TV as well but I didn't think about a VPN. Not a bad thing to have anyway. I'm going to give them until Opening Day to see if something gets worked out.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I was going to go with Hulu TV as well but I didn't think about a VPN. Not a bad thing to have anyway. I'm going to give them until Opening Day to see if something gets worked out.
I was thinking the same thing. One down side to MLB.TV is you can't watch the pre and post game shows. I actually enjoy watching those.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I was thinking the same thing. One down side to MLB.TV is you can't watch the pre and post game shows. I actually enjoy watching those.

The local writer who has covered my team for 40 years went on a rant today and said screw it, I'm not giving Sinclair a dime of my money, and I'll go back to listening on the radio to whatever I don't see at the park. I'm so tempted to go that route but damnit this year looks to be one of those fun ones you don't always get... :cool:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sinclair owns only 20% of the YES network with the Yankees owning 26% and Amazon 15% along with other partners owning 13% each.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Im sure there will be an agreement later Speaking for myself, I am not a yankees fan

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Go take a look at Reddit, this deal is worse than being reported. Supposedly the region lines have been redrawn, cutting off many RSNs from people who used to get them. So yes, they are keeping 19 RSNs but drastically reducing the number of subscribers that can see them.

I'm in Montgomery, AL and we normally get Fox Sports South and Southeast. Yesterday, YTTV dropped Southeast from my lineup. Others in AL are reporting the same thing, as well as people in TN and SC. So it looks like the majority of the southeast no longer gets Fox Sports Southeast. Some people in SC are reporting that they lost all RSNs. There are stories like this from all over the country. No rhyme or reason, some rural areas kept all RSNs while some urban areas lost everything, and vice versa.

Whatever deal YTTV signed, it's a pretty crappy one. They probably think they have satisfied subscribers but, I'm still switching if nothing changes by opening day.

As a baseball fan, MLB needs to make it easier for fans to watch, regardless of where they live. Just remove all blackout restriction on MLB.tv and you would have one of the best sports products on the market.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I cut the cord on cable this past fall. I’d occasionally watch a Mets game (my local market) before I let cable go. I’d be happy to keep doing so. But it no longer made sense for me to throw away $100+ on cable each month on the chance that I might watch a ballgame every now and then. If the app version worked for local teams, it would be an easy choice to subscribe. But even if the Mets went on a historically unprecedented winning streak, there’s nothing that could persuade me to go back to paying so much for cable when there’s so little I watch. Local Baseball is the only thing I watched that didn’t have an app version, and that’s only because they choose to cripple the app. As more and more people trim back or outright eliminate cable from their houses, MLB better fix this or they risk creating a much bigger headache for themselves down the road.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Here is an example of how stupid it is...

You're living in Iowa. Your state has no baseball team, but you're a baseball fan.

Getting an MLB TV package in Iowa means you will not be able to see any game featuring the Twins, Brewers, Royals, Cardinals, Cubs, and White Sox. On days they're not playing each other, that's 6 out of 15 games you can't watch. An interested customer is probably going to skip buying that package.

The reason for the blackout is to 1) get you to subscribe to cable, but Iowan's local cable won't carry those teams so it's a moot point, and 2) to get you to buy tickets at the ballpark but the nearest parks are 300 miles away so that isn't happening either.

Jeff_L

Agent

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Where are you seeing it runs out in September? I’m not seeing that in any of the linked articles.

3rd paragraph down in the linked-to article:

"The agreement between Google and Sinclair will keep the 19 RSNs on YouTube TV through the end of the 2020 Major League Baseball season, according to a source familiar with the pact."

So... September 27

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Fast forward a couple a weeks later - now wondering if YT regrets not stretching those negotiations out one more week...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks