What's new

Pre-Order Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81bJefxfZvL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I very much hope someone who knows a great deal about film stocks and how films were supposed to look when first new will give us an informed opinion about the picture quality of this disc and how it compares with the previous Blu-ray disc.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Any word if Cohen did the 4K restoration from the B/W negatives? If this trailer is any indication; maybe not.

"Coming to NYC’s Quad Cinema on February 7 followed by LA’s Royal on February 21, we’re pleased to premiere the new trailer which shows off the glorious new restoration, which took more than 700 hours to complete and featured the removal of age-related damage to 177,120 individual frames of the film. A favorite of Martin Scorsese, he shared his personal print to use as a color reference for this restoration, and remarked, “Watching this film is like entering a strange and wonderful dream.”

Has anyone seen this restoration during it's current theatrical run?

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The Living Idol was on Criterion Channel streaming recently. It looked great even if the film itself is fairly mediocre.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone get this version, ad comments on the quality in elation to previous releases?
The official release date is Tuesday. I almost preordered it during Target's latest "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale, but realized I haven't even watched the prior Kino BD release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love it some when entity does a frame count, and asserts difficulty. Most 3-strips need a bit more than an automated clean-up.

Last I heard Cohen had the masters, but if its the negs, God bless them.

Btw, it’s 1,440 frames per minute. And not every frame should have problems. Separate actual labor from sizzle.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Any word if Cohen did the 4K restoration from the B/W negatives? If this trailer is any indication; maybe not.

"Coming to NYC’s Quad Cinema on February 7 followed by LA’s Royal on February 21, we’re pleased to premiere the new trailer which shows off the glorious new restoration, which took more than 700 hours to complete and featured the removal of age-related damage to 177,120 individual frames of the film. A favorite of Martin Scorsese, he shared his personal print to use as a color reference for this restoration, and remarked, “Watching this film is like entering a strange and wonderful dream.”

Has anyone seen this restoration during it's current theatrical run?

Looks quite nice. I’m in.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Mine arrived early and although it is indeed better than the previous release, there are many scenes especially in the beginning that have an off putting yellow
tint which make the actors look like they have hepatitis. Otherwise it's a beautiful transfer.:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks