What's new

Where are we with 4k broadcasts in 2020 (and 2021)? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When someone considers buying a new television, the only type you can buy is one that supports 4k.

4k displays are dirt cheap. Just about everyone has one in their home whether they embrace the format with streaming or disc options that support the format.

And with all this in mind, it's absolutely amazing we are still watching broadcast television in 1080p HD.

Is the United States behind-the-times in its adoption of 4k broadcasting compared to other countries or are we in line with them?

In 2017 we were already talking about bringing it to fruition but to date, there really hasn't been any action outside of streaming services to adopt it as a general broadcast standard.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I currently have Directv and last time I talked to them about 4K service they only had three channels of mostly sports and movies. I would need a new receiver and pay a $59 install fee plus another 2 year agreement. Another reason not doing the 4K is that my current receiver has a S-video connection that I need to hook up to my Panasonic dvd recorder to record my favorite programing to disc and the new Genie 4K receiver only has HDMI output.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, let me ask this...

We can now buy antennas that give us over-the-air HD broadcasts.

Are we capable of doing that with 4k?

And, are the major networks looking to upgrade to 4k daily broadcasting anytime soon?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Traditional broadcasting is on the way out - I can't see anyone spending huge sums of money to upgrade over-the-air, cable or satellite systems to be 4K compatible. If anything, they'll offer 4K as an incentive to switch to their respective streaming services.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Around 35% of households have 4K tv so I guess the major networks might wait until more are sold? Also with Directv they have never sent me anything in the mail about any 4K signup specials or details on 4K service.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Traditional broadcasting is on the way out - I can't see anyone spending huge sums of money to upgrade over-the-air, cable or satellite systems to be 4K compatible. If anything, they'll offer 4K as an incentive to switch to their respective streaming services.

And that may be the very thing I am not factoring in here.

The average person probably watches more streaming than broadcast television.

The only thing I really watch on mainstream television is perhaps SURVIVOR and the news.

However, it still seems a bit archaic that we all have 4k displays but the basic network feed coming into our home and over the air is HD.

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is a good article about this on Cnet. https://www.cnet.com/news/next-gen-tv-is-free-4k-tv-with-an-antenna-and-its-coming-this-year/ According to articles I've read, 4K broadcasting is to begin in the 5 largest markets this year, including Phoenix, where I am moving to. The 2020 LG models are supposed to have the new ATSC 3.0 tuners in them, and other manufacturers are including ATSC 3.0 tuners as well. You can use any antenna you want.

Of course -- new tuners.

Why would I think 4k compatible displays would be able to accept a broadcast standard change to that format? :angry:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For those who believe OTA broadcast is a thing of the past, don't be so sure. I believe there are more people using antennas for OTA today than ten years ago.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Does this require ATSC 3.0, which rolls out a few years from now?
ATSC 3.0 is already deployed in certain markets - even Boise has a station now.

Unfortunately the Boise station appears to be a subscription model station.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
According to this https://www.watchnextgentv.com/ - a bunch of cities are already getting OTA broadcast in 4K.

Has anyone here already witnessed it?
Nope but then again I have DirecTV.

4k broadcasting seems have to stalled out. The satellite channels are either somewhat compressed or complete upscales from 1080 with HDR applied and streaming services generally tap out at 1440p, nowhere near actual 4k resolution.

EDIT: Cincinnati has apparently not switched to ATSC 3.0 despite claims that it would be doing so last year.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
Nope but then again I have DirecTV.

4k broadcasting seems have to stalled out. The satellite channels are either somewhat compressed or complete upscales from 1080 with HDR applied and streaming services generally tap out at 1440p, nowhere near actual 4k resolution.

EDIT: Cincinnati has apparently not switched to ATSC 3.0 despite claims that it would be doing so last year.
Yeah, I must say that I once compared NBC/ABC/CBS broadcast OTA and on cable and OTA pic quality was much better even though the cable signal was also Full HD. OTA was also a tad faster since on cable there was almost a minute delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks