What's new

The Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma Twitter Watch Parties This Weekend (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't Kill The Messenger On This One (Ron Epstein)...

b7c0bf0c-dde8-4ed4-b105-b25557063846.png

THE HUNT, THE INVISIBLE MAN,
& EMMA ARE NOW AVAILABLE
TO WATCH AT HOME ON DEMAND

Watch along on Twitter with special guests this weekend!
Let us know if you plan to watch along with us.

Watch Party Request

THE HUNT

Friday, March 27 at 6:30pm PT / 9:30pm ET

Joshua Ovenshire (@LaserCorn)
Dave 'Lasercorn' Moss (@TheJovenshire)
Follow the hashtag #TheHuntMovieAtHome

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW TO WATCH AT HOME

THE INVISIBLE MAN

Saturday, March 28 at 1:00pm PT / 4:00pm ET / 8:00pm GMT

Actress/Comedian Retta (@unfoRETTAble)
Follow the hashtag #TheInvisibleManAtHome

143f3265-6e57-4c1e-a2ca-48951ad330e5.jpg

EMMA

Sunday, March 29 at 10:00am PT / 1:00pm ET / 6:00pm BST

Turner Classic Movies Host Alicia Malone (@AliciaMalone)
Follow the hashtag #EmmaAtHome

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will not pay $20 to buy the streaming version of a film (my ceiling is $10 for a 4K stream & $5 for an HD stream), so I am certainly not going to pay that much just to rent something. I save my Amazon "no rush shipping" digital credits for rentals, so I have not actually paid anything for a rental in several years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hope this attitude prevails with the entire streaming public.

Just wondering what will happen when studios realize nobody is renting at that price.

In a way, this could be considered a testing ground for releasing first-run films to the public via streaming. However, if the studios don't make their money this way, then I don't see movie theaters going away (if that was even a consideration).

I guess what I am saying is that coronavirus is going to change the way we do things even after some sort of normalcy continues. However, at the moment, it doesn't look like streaming first-run movies to the public is going to be one of them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1. Not paying $20 to *rent* a movie.

2. Couldn't care less about a "Watch party" with "celebrities" present (why would I want to have some chat window open for inane conversation after paying through the nose for the "privilege" of watching the movie?). That, alone, would have to lower the cost to free, or pay me for my time, to bother.

3. Do they really think this'll make it more attractive to be price gouged?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not something I would do, but, I do wonder if a family of 4-6 people or roommates sharing the cost are purchasing this streaming option at home?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's not something I would do, but, I do wonder if a family of 4-6 people or roommates sharing the cost are purchasing this streaming option at home?

Good point. That is where the value comes in. A family can watch this film for much less than it would cost going out and buying snacks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hope this attitude prevails with the entire streaming public.

Just wondering what will happen when studios realize nobody is renting at that price.

In a way, this could be considered a testing ground for releasing first-run films to the public via streaming. However, if the studios don't make their money this way, then I don't see movie theaters going away (if that was even a consideration).

I guess what I am saying is that coronavirus is going to change the way we do things even after some sort of normalcy continues. However, at the moment, it doesn't look like streaming first-run movies to the public is going to be one of them.
If they can't get folks like the big movie fans here that are also stuck inside to buy at $20, I don't see any hope for a significant chunk of the general public biting at that price. From the reaction I saw, people were impressed that a new movie was able to be seen at home but if that became the norm and the "Wow" factor of a new movie at your house has quickly worn off, the numbers are going to drop even lower.

In short, the theaters aren't going anywhere unless the studios decide to change over a century of behavior and decide that they no longer like making money.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You will have a hard time telling me that for a group of 3-4 there is not a market for watching a theatrical film for $20.

8C58F345-D905-48F0-BBDA-7CB4F05A7C8F.jpeg

A family with restless kids or broke college students who would probably rather stay home where they can smoke, they are not picky about their theatrical experience.

This does not have to be an either/or, one replacing the other argument.

Also, can I just add that if you are like me and all your theaters are closed, $20 is neither cheap or expensive, it is the only choice.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see our group on HTF as being representative of the audience being targeted. I bet this winds up being more successful for Universal than is anticipated here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You will have a hard time telling me that for a group of 3-4 there is not a market for watching a theatrical film for $20...
View attachment 70409

Also, can I just add that if you are like me and all your theaters are closed, $20 is neither cheap or expensive, it is the only choice.
Even though it absolutely works out financially, I still think it's a tough sell to get people to pay $20 for a two day rental of a movie that most will watch on an iPad or laptop when they can get a month of Netflix or Disney + for much cheaper with far more choices.

And god help movies if this does become the norm because the art form is dead at that point. There will be NO movies except franchise pictures. Studios are suffering from 'franchise-itis' bad enough now but at least you can see some other movies and those would disappear because nowhere near enough people would pay $20 to see a small drama or a comedy or horror movie to interest the studios in making them.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Even though it absolutely works out financially, I still think it's a tough sell to get people to pay $20 for a two day rental of a movie that most will watch on an iPad or laptop when they can get a month of Netflix or Disney + for much cheaper with far more choices.

I don't know why you think most would watch on an iPad or laptop. Streaming devices are kind of a thing now.

To your second point - if a person can watch a theatrical movie at home for $5 (a group of 4 split the cost), wouldn't that mean they can watch a theatrical movie and get a month of Disney+ for the same price as a movie ticket?

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why you think most would watch on an iPad or laptop. Streaming devices are kind of a thing now.
Even assuming that everyone watches it on their TV, they're still watching on a TV which is hardly a match for a movie theater. Yes, at the movies, people talk or there's sticky floors or high concession prices but the presentation of even a mediocre theater is vastly better than most people's TVs.

To your second point, if they're not going to spend money on a rental in lieu of a month of Disney+ and Netflix, then wouldn't they also not spend money on a ticket in lieu of a month of Disney+ and Netflix?
Because going out to a movie is "doing something" because you're leaving your house. When people go on a date to a movie or take their kids to see a movie, they're doing something and that's different than sitting home and watching Netflix (which, I'd say most people. consider to be doing nothing).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't care how many D list celebrities you get I ain't paying $20 for a rent. I stab at thee, messenger Ron! =p

You have a dedicated home theater. How is it bad to pay $20 for a first run feature minus gas money/expensive theater snacks, and in the comfort of your own home.
You can't "own" the theater going experience either which comes out to practically the same price for one person.

Sorry, I don't understand hate of this idea. It is much better than the $50-$75 "one time" rental that was talked about a couple years ago.
$20, and watch it as many times as you want in two days.

As a site dedicated to Home Theater, the overwhelming negative attitude toward this is wild to me.
I would think more along the lines of a dream come true.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I don't understand hate of this idea. It is better than the $50-$75 "one time" rental that was talked about a couple years ago.
My problem isn't the price, it's the result to the industry if it became the norm. There would be no movies except blockbusters because they'd be sure things to get people to spend $20 on.

Bstee

Auditioning
Real Name
BIll
I watched The Hunt, not in a watch party but just because I like Blumhouse movies for some odd reason and the story sounded like The Most Dangerous Game. It started off very strong. I really enjoyed the first 30 minutes. Lost me for the next 30 minutes and the last 10 minutes ended pretty much like it had to. In other words, quite predictable. It is odd that the politics of this one demanded it be pulled but the politics were actually really muddled and likely those who wanted it pulled the most will like 90% of this movie.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My problem isn't the price, it's the result to the industry if it became the norm. There would be no movies except blockbusters because they'd be sure things to get people to spend $20 on.

I think that ship has already sailed, honestly.

I'm as big a movie fan as they come and I went to a theater 1 time in 2019. Martin Scorsese is making movies for Netflix. I don't love it either but this is not going to move us down a path we weren't already going down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks