What's new

Income tax issue/question (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
in 2019 From January to April, I Physically lived and worked in South Carolina (which has a state income tax so I filed state and federal of course). I moved to Florida( which has no state income tax) in May 2019 and worked and physically lived there from May 2019 to January 2020. I moved back to south Carolina in mid January.

When I filed my income taxes for 2019, I got a refund Federal and ended up owing State in South Carolina (which I Paid yesterday) The Tax Preparer told me that because I didnt Declare Florida as official state of residence while living there (which I didnt do because I didnt have my own place and had roommates ) the State of SC Could tax me for the full year. Lesson Learned ,,

But was she right? I usually set my W4s up so I overpay during the year as not to run into having to Pay

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not a tax attorney, but that sounds right to me. You technically remained a resident of SC the whole time, so your income you earned while in FL was likely taxable in SC.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds correct -- been a while since i had that issue. I remember splitting in a taxable state ending up paying both state taxes, but was able to deduct the amt paid in the nonresident state from the amt I owed in resident state -- basically ended up being the same as if I'd worked in one state the entire year.

About 2/3 of the way down the page under Common Method 2:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tip...ive-and-work-in-more-than-one-state/L79OKm3jI

Most states also have a Free Tax Help Line to call if you want to double check further

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I am not a tax expert but my wife is a CPA and prepares multiple tax returns per year. According to her, you can file what's called a part-year return in SC and explain that you were in Florida for a period of time. The burden of proof is low so they really shouldn't ask too many questions.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Man am I disappointed. When I saw this header, I thought someone had figured a way to declare movies as a deduction.:wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks