What's new

Hello! from jayembee (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Howdy. I've been acquainted with HTF for quite a while, and have occasionally linked to it from elsewhere to read specific comments or information. But I finally bit the bullet and joined.

I'm a curmudgeonly old fart (or fartly old curmudgeon) who's been watching films and television for over 60 years. The earliest theatrical film experience I can recall was when my father took me and my brother into Boston to see The Mysterians back when I was about six or so years old. Through the 60s, I watched just about any sf/fantasy/horror film that popped up on TV.

When I was 14½ years old, I spent about a week's paper-route money to go into Boston by bus to see 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Cinerama Theater. It had a transcendental effect on me. I started to watch just about any movie on TV, and became a fan of film as an artistic medium.

When home video became a thing, I was buying blank Beta cassettes (it's hard to believe that a 1-hour tape cost about $18) and recording off TV, and eventually started buying commercial pre-recorded tapes. Then came laserdiscs, and I was in hog heaven. One of my first LDs was Criterion's Blade Runner, and blind-buying Criteria seriously expanded my exposure to foreign films.

I've also been a TV watcher since I was a tyke. And a voracious reader. I've been a part of science fiction fandom since 1970. I started using the handle "jayembee" (it's my initials: JMB) in my SF fan activities, and then when I joined the internet back in the early-to-mid-80s. For about the last 10 years I've been reading and posting at blu-ray.com

Top TV show choice: The Wire
Top film choice: Citizen Kane

Yeah, the latter choice seems too obvious. But to paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "When a man is tired of Citizen Kane, he is tired of cinema, for there is in Citizen Kane all that cinema can afford."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One of my first LDs was Criterion's Blade Runner, and blind-buying Criteria seriously expanded my exposure to foreign films.

For its generation, I felt that the Criterion laserdisc version of Blade Runner was orders of magnitude better than the then-available crappy vhs versions. Especially the special features/gallery.

David H. Gagne

Auditioning
Real Name
David H Gagne
Greetings, One of my friends in Texas was jubilant about his laserdisc collection. Every chance he got he would show me a film in his home theater on laserdisc. I did not see Blade Runner on laserdisc but have seen most of the releases on VHS, DVD, and Blu ray. I have the thirtieth-anniversary edition on Blu ray. I liked your mention of Citizen Kane. I can never get tired of that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks