Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray
RiseOfSkwalkerFP-1024x423.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the Best Buy 4k box set and I did sample some of the films and even though the image is a little darker compared to the old Blu-ray's I saw improved clarity and colors. I did pay a nice sum of money as I did with the Laserdisc box sets years ago but happy with the results.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the Best Buy 4k box set and I did sample some of the films and even though the image is a little darker compared to the old Blu-ray's I saw improved clarity and colors. I did pay a nice sum of money as I did with the Laserdisc box sets years ago but happy with the results.

The "Definitive Collection" LD set was $250 in 1993, with only 3 movies and many fewer extras!

$250 in 1993 would be about $448 now!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to see how the two HDCAM productions look up-rezzed to 4k. Those are HD-900F (Attack of the Clones), along with the Sony HDC-F950 (Revenge of the Sith).
Based on the 4K presentation on Disney+, not great -- though Revenge of the Sith fares a little better than Attack of the Clones when the HDR is applied. But the difference between The Phantom Menace and those two is night and day.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Based on the 4K presentation on Disney+, not great -- though Revenge of the Sith fares a little better than Attack of the Clones when the HDR is applied. But the difference between The Phantom Menace and those two is night and day.

So it sounds as though what buyers are actually getting in 4k is HDR, and possibly some new extras.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Technically, there's no new extras on Episodes II and III. A couple of things are new to disc but they were available when Star Wars was first sold digitally and Episode III has a featurette that was a starwars.com exclusive when the movie was new.

“Then, where’s the beef?”

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Not much you can do about it. Lucas, grain hater that he is, wanted the most high tech cameras available at the time to make II and III. Unfortunately "high tech" in 2001-2004 meant brickwalled at 1080.

Mark VH

Second Unit
I tried watching Return of the Jedi last week, and it was so 'weak' I took it out and put on something better. Really, most of the saga is not worth pursuing. IMHO :)

Yeah, there are basically three good Star Wars movies. Maybe three and a half if you count the last 45 minutes of Rogue One.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I tried watching Return of the Jedi last week, and it was so 'weak' I took it out and put on something better. Really, most of the saga is not worth pursuing. IMHO :)

Yup. George Lucas should have called it good at the end of TESB. Everyone loves a happy ending.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

And yet here you are, taking the time to post in a Star Wars thread that concerns the 4K release of The Rise of Skywalker, not Return of the Jedi. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Gee, I wish I'd read your insightful post before I bought the 9-movie set, watched it over 4 days and enjoyed the heck out of it.

If only I'd known all these movies I like aren't worth pursuing I could've saved myself all that time and money! :rolleyes:

Mark VH

Second Unit
I’d put Jedi in the middle tier of “mostly watchable but not really very good” SW movies along with Sith, The Force Awakens, and Solo. Empire, New Hope and The Last Jedi are the only ones that I’d objectively call “good.” I’d add Rogue One if I’m being generous. Clones, Menace and Rise of Skywalker are awful and basically unwatchable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I wish I'd read your insightful post before I bought the 9-movie set, watched it over 4 days and enjoyed the heck out of it.
I'm going through the movies and all the special features so I'm only up to ROTJ. Seeing the on-set footage and the documentaries made back at the time of the movies has been a nostalgic joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks