What's new

Press Release Columbia Classics 4k Collection (photos) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
screen-shot-2020-04-02-at-1-13-52-pm-png.70560

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.11.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.11.55 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,129
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.12.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.12.01 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,047
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.13.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.13.52 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,377
Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to say, I am disappointed.

An odd set of titles to throw together.

I also expected this to be something more elaborate as far as the array of offered titles. Sony has so much to offer from its library.

The good news is that the cost should be affordable.

The bad news is, I would almost be willing to cough up the extra money for a much larger offering of the most heralded classics from their library in 4k.

Hopefully, LAWRENCE will be available as a 4k single. I own it digital and it looks unbelievably superb, but a movie like that I would also gladly duplicate on a disc.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
They had either the exact same or a very similar set on DVD. For the DVD set, the common denominator was that they were all of the Oscar Best Picture Winners that came from Colombia.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Here, only LOA and Gandhi were best pictures. It’s certainly an eclectic group, but if the transfers are well done, the more the merrier.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
https://deadline.com/video/dr-stran...league-of-their-own-columbia-classics-oscars/

Link to an article about this set that includes a trailer. Trailer makes it seem more exciting, so good job on the trailer.

It does say Volume I so presumably if it sell well there will be a Volume II

Per the article:

On June 16, Sony will release the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection of six films from its vast library never before given this kind of treatment. They include Best Pictures Oscar winning or nominees such as Lawrence of Arabia, Ghandi, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. All of these have been released before on video but never like this with a limited edition run of 8,000 units in the U.S., a hardbound book, and tons of extras including several documentaries and other goodies.

The other two films selected by the studio are more recent: 1996’s Jerry Maguire and 1992’s A League Of Their Own (which might be the closest we get to baseball this season). So how did they get in here with the quartet of certified classics? Sony took a poll of consumers asking which “modern” classics they wanted to get this kind of 4K treatment, and out of a reported 30,000 responses League was No. 1 and Maguire was second. So there is something here even for anyone unaware that movies existed before the ’90s.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
They had either the exact same or a very similar set on DVD. For the DVD set, the common denominator was that they were all of the Oscar Best Picture Winners that came from Colombia.

That was this set which looks similar.

41IGFaBr5KL.jpg

The films in this set were
1934 It Happened One Night
1938 You Can't Take It with You
1949 All the King's Men
1953 From Here to Eternity
1954 On the Waterfront
1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai
1962 Lawrence of Arabia
1966 A Man for All Seasons
1968 Oliver!
1979 Kramer vs. Kramer
1982 Gandhi

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
A little underwhelming. Love the packaging, but I'll concur with Ronald here. Given the studio's girth of goodies, six films is pretty scant. I mean, the least they could have done is to include a few more of the 4K remasters already released, like Bridge on the River Kwai, and, the upcoming Mask of Zorro. I mean, would it really have killed them to release a 10 pack instead of a 6-pack? Just saying.

Reactions: PMF

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can't think of a better time to announce this set with so many people unemployed because of a pandemic! I'm in the same boat preferring separate releases as it's an odd mix

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't think of a better time to announce this set with so many people unemployed because of a pandemic! I'm in the same boat preferring separate releases as it's an odd mix

Yup. It's very odd timing.

And if Sony is testing the waters with 4k releases, this is not the way to do it. This set is not very appealing -- at least to me -- because it seems like a mish-mosh of titles.

Now if Sony released the DVD set mentioned above in 4k, THAT would be something to strive for.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They could have done an all black and white set with
Mr Deeds Comes to Town
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Lost Horizon
You Cant Take it with you
It Happened One Night
From Here to Eternity
Dr. Strangelove

This set would be a little heavy on the Frank Capra side but who cares, he was a great director !

And a set with
Ghandi
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge of the River Kwai
etc..

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That was this set which looks similar.
41IGFaBr5KL.jpg

The films in this set were
1934 It Happened One Night
1938 You Can't Take It with You
1949 All the King's Men
1953 From Here to Eternity
1954 On the Waterfront
1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai
1962 Lawrence of Arabia
1966 A Man for All Seasons
1968 Oliver!
1979 Kramer vs. Kramer
1982 Gandhi
Now THAT was the set we needed in 4K/UHD.
As for Jerry Maguire and A League of Their Own?
Seriously? Not in my Ultra classics boxed set, you don’t.
I’ll wait for Lawrence, Strangelove, Mr. Smith and Gandhi as a 4K stand-alone...THEN I’ll show them the money. BTW, Columbia, there’s no crying in marketing.:rolleyes:

BOTTOM LINE:
It’s fantastic news to see ALL of these titles getting the 4K/UHD treatment; but this boxed set feels as if there are two very separate audiences in it which, in and of itself, may cancel each other out.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember that poll, certainly didn't vote for Jerry Maguire (the rarest VHS title of all time). I wrote in Skatetown USA which at least made it out on Blu-ray.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
While I'm interested in several of these titles, I agree that it's a very odd "collection" of films. Plus, it's another "big box" that I'd have to somehow incorporate into my storage. For these particular movies together? No. I doubt I'll bite.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
If this set is for the USA/North America market Sony should have put Easy Rider in it since the disc has yet to be released here.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
While I greatly applaud the release of all these titles in UHD, the packaging sucks. This kind of deal always works the same: two or three titles that any given one of us really, really want, and would buy instantly if they were singles. Then another two or three that any given one of us do NOT want, and probably at any price. If they’re available as singles right away, that’s great. But if we have to wait, a lot of people are going to be pissed off, especially about LoA.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Lawrence of Arabia 4K UHD single disc Please ! I want these Columbia Classics in 4K UHD .... It Happened One Night, From Here To Eternity, On The Waterfront, Lawrence of Arabia, The Guns of Navarone, Jason and the Argonauts and A Man For All Seasons.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Lawrence of Arabia 4K single disc Please ! I could have picked Better titles for that set. ..... It Happened One Night, From Here To Eternity, On The Waterfront, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Guns of Navarone. Or ...Jason and the Argonauts and A Man For All Seasons. Now that's a Set !
Some of those titles are under license to Criterion

I suspect that the newer titles were put in to appeal to a broader audience.

Based on the success TT, Indicator and Sony itself have had with the Harryhousen films, I suspect that Sony may be looking into releasing those as a set. (At least the Sinbad ones)

That being said, If this streets for $100, then you would be getting 4 Awesome films for $25.00 each, which would "complete me!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks