What's new

Frasier Reboot (1 Viewer)

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I just found out about this and I'm excited at the prospect:
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/08/fras...r-gives-fans-all-the-news-they-want-11064764/

The word is that it will be in a different location to Seattle and with a different dynamic to the previous show that focuses on Frasier's relationship with his son. All the old cast members are keen on the idea and it will be interesting to see how well the new show can live up to expectations.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am. I worry that it’s hard to catch lightening in a bottle twice. I like Frazier much more than Cheers (though I like Cheers a lot). Frazier was so well cast and written. I’m ready.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Ye Gods! How many of these geezer shows are we going to exhume? Have you ever seen the Dick Van Dyke reboot (shudder shudder). All these have done for me so far is make me wonder why I even liked the originals. I have decided you can’t go back and will try to keep my happy memories.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t think a return was imminent. Last I had read, and the above link seems to say the same thing once you get past the clickbait headline, is that Kelsey Grammer has an idea for what a continuation could look like and that the rest of the cast would be interested. There is no writing staff, no showrunner, no production people involved. There is no network that has signed on. There is no production company involved. At present, it seems little more than something Grammer is willing to do.

Would I be interested? Of course! Does it seem to like its going to be here soon? I didn’t get that impression.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As a huge Frasier fan, I wouldn’t be interested in a reboot. A new show with Frasier would be missing a lot without Mahoney.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn’t think a return was imminent. Last I had read, and the above link seems to say the same thing once you get past the clickbait headline, is that Kelsey Grammer has an idea for what a continuation could look like and that the rest of the cast would be interested. There is no writing staff, no showrunner, no production people involved. There is no network that has signed on. There is no production company involved. At present, it seems little more than something Grammer is willing to do.

Would I be interested? Of course! Does it seem to like its going to be here soon? I didn’t get that impression.
Even if they had all that stuff, it would still be on hold because of....
As a huge Frasier fan, I wouldn’t be interested in a reboot. A new show with Frasier would be missing a lot without Mahoney.
The contrast between Dad and his kids provided a lot of the humor.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Martin and Niles were the best characters on the original show.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Ye Gods! How many of these geezer shows are we going to exhume? Have you ever seen the Dick Van Dyke reboot (shudder shudder). All these have done for me so far is make me wonder why I even liked the originals. I have decided you can’t go back and will try to keep my happy memories.

Nothing could ever make me wonder why I love Frasier. I'm currently doing a complete series run through with the SO (we're currently halfway through season 7) and I'm more immersed and engaged with the show than ever. I'm thinking a lot about how the show ended for these folks and I want to know how they're getting on now. This is how I think it will pan out:

Frasier - retirement age but still hooked on the celebrity lifestyle and probably still doing the rounds on TV and radio; may also have a grandchild or two from his now adult son.

Niles - retired as a psychiatrist and enjoying family life with Daphne and two or three children between the ages of 16 and 12.

Martin - recently deceased.

Roz - went from strength to strength as station manager at KACL; new job in whichever city Frasier now lives in and reconnects; has wayward daughter in early 20s.

It's also fair to assume that new characters will emerge in the creative process with a new wise head to replace Martin top of the list.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m also rewatching the original show with my wife. We got the Christmas episodes DVD set to watch over the holidays and when we finished we those episodes, we were having such a good time with it that we decided to go through the whole thing. We had the CBS All Access membership for their Star Trek shows and all of Frasier is on there too so the timing worked out for us. In the middle of season five right now. With these stay at home orders and us having twin infants in the house, both the humor of the show and its shorter running time make it perfect for the twenty minutes of downtime that we’re lucky to get. I haven’t seen most of these since they aired and I don’t think I’ve even seen the last season or two, so it’s a fun blend of “I totally remember that” and “ooo that’s new”.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
How is it a reboot if it's a continuation?

It's a reboot in the sense that it would place Frasier in a different city with different relationship dynamics. Certainly, it shouldn't be seen as a new series of Frasier any more than Frasier was seen as a new series of Cheers.

I've outlined possible scenarios for the Fab Five but it's quite possible that Frasier will be in a completely different social circle with only passing references to (and possibly guest appearances from) the Cafe Nervosa days which would be the same relationship that Cheers had with Frasier.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon

I think the fact that Grammer speaks so openly and enthusiastically about the subject is a very good sign. Frasier was a very popular show and Grammer has a lot of clout in the film/TV industry (I think he was getting $2m an episode for Frasier) - if it was just Peri Gilpin or Jane Leeves or David Hyde Pierce talking about an idea for a reboot, I'd think "Yeah, dream on!" but if Kelsey Grammer is up for it I think the networks will listen.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Nothing could ever make me wonder why I love Frasier. I'm currently doing a complete series run through with the SO (we're currently halfway through season 7) and I'm more immersed and engaged with the show than ever. I'm thinking a lot about how the show ended for these folks and I want to know how they're getting on now. This is how I think it will pan out:

Frasier - retirement age but still hooked on the celebrity lifestyle and probably still doing the rounds on TV and radio; may also have a grandchild or two from his now adult son.

Niles - retired as a psychiatrist and enjoying family life with Daphne and two or three children between the ages of 16 and 12.

Martin - recently deceased.

Roz - went from strength to strength as station manager at KACL; new job in whichever city Frasier now lives in and reconnects; has wayward daughter in early 20s.

It's also fair to assume that new characters will emerge in the creative process with a new wise head to replace Martin top of the list.
A moderately funny sidebar could have at least one of Niles’s and Daphne’s male children with a
similar personality to grandpa Martin, and Niles’s
slight disappointment in coping with his son wanting to go to baseball/football games, liking
schlocky films, music, etc.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I agree. The only reboot that worked for me was "Will and Grace". However when they continued to make episodes it became very tired . Should have stopped after the first or second season of the revival. I understand "The Connors" is very good but it is not a show I watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m sure many of you are aware, the mainstream news has reported the Frasier reboot has been greenlit by Paramount+.

This makes sense as I’m sure the streaming service would like to add more programming. There’s a few sites reporting this, though I’ve not seen it reported in something like the Hollywood Reporter or Variety. I wonder if it will be broadcast on CBS at the same time it’s on Paramount+ like they did for CSI: Vegas.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From what I gather I don’t think this will broadcast at all - it appears to be a Paramount+ exclusive.

CSI Vegas by comparison is a CBS show that is also carried on P+ because all original CBS network content goes to P+ after broadcast.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good point Josh. And it would not need to fight for a time slot on the network. Amd I’m thinking this is likely a 10 or so episode run for the season.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Good point Josh. And it would not need to fight for a time slot on the network. Amd I’m thinking this is likely a 10 or so episode run for the season.

And, as a streaming exclusive, it could drive subscriptions.

All that said, I'm not too sure about this being a good idea. The original show outstayed its welcome by a good season or two (and Grammar admitted as such after the show ended), so there is that. However, the extended amount of time since cancellation could be a good thing, plus the more limited number of episodes that would be made for a revival (13 or fewer).

If they do this, let's just hope they don't get greedy and know when to bow-out this time.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think a short run is a horrible idea

The original show was great because the audience had time to get to know the characters, and they were allowed to build on their idiosyncrasies.

A short revival series (with a supposedly new setting/new cast of supporting characters) is almost required to still shoehorn in pieces from the original show.

As a viewer, are we supposed to invest in the new people, or just wait for the “oh look, there’s Roz”

One or two episodes devoted to the old show in a twenty-plus season is one thing. In a ten-episode run, that’s a momentum killer

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s just the way Paramount+ is - with limited exceptions that they have been phasing out, they do 10 episode seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks