What's new

only for movies: yamaha yht-4950 vs onkyo ht-s3910 (1 Viewer)

angelostr

Auditioning
Real Name
Angelo
Hi, in Angelo from Italy!

I want buy my first home cinema (in very newbie) and have a doubt between yamaha yht-4950 vs onkyo ht-s3910, i see only movie (BR, Netflix, D+) Tanks of all for help

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Those two systems are very close. If you can listen to the speakers I'd use that as the tie-breaker. Next, if one has a feature you like (I'm not seeing much difference, but the Yamaha has an extra digital audio, the Onkyo has a zone-B line out; neither is a big deal unless you happen to need it). Barring either of those, I'd go by cost or looks.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would go with the Yamaha, as it has an active or powered subwoofer, while the Oknyo has a passive subwoofer (powered by the receiver).

Should you decide to upgrade your speakers down the road (and you likely will want to do that because the speakers on both of these systems are not that great but are a decent enough starting point), the Onkyo will make it much more difficult to find a passive subwoofer, since most subwoofers on the market are active, which will not work on that particular Onkyo receiver as far as I can tell. Passive subwoofers also rob the other speakers of power, since the receiver not only has to drive the 5 satellites, but the subwoofer as well. The Yamaha does not have that issue, since it sends a non-amplified signal to the sub and the sub's built-in amp supplies the power to drive the signal.

Also, my experience with Yamaha is that they typically pack more bang for the buck in their lower end models.

angelostr

Auditioning
Real Name
Angelo
I would go with the Yamaha, as it has an active or powered subwoofer, while the Oknyo has a passive subwoofer (powered by the receiver).

Should you decide to upgrade your speakers down the road (and you likely will want to do that because the speakers on both of these systems are not that great but are a decent enough starting point), the Onkyo will make it much more difficult to find a passive subwoofer, since most subwoofers on the market are active, which will not work on that particular Onkyo receiver as far as I can tell. Passive subwoofers also rob the other speakers of power, since the receiver not only has to drive the 5 satellites, but the subwoofer as well. The Yamaha does not have that issue, since it sends a non-amplified signal to the sub and the sub's built-in amp supplies the power to drive the signal.

Onkyo has also Active subwoofer Port...or in wrong?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Passive subwoofers also rob the other speakers of power, since the receiver not only has to drive the 5 satellites, but the subwoofer as well. The Yamaha does not have that issue out of the box, but the Onkyo will. Something to consider.

angelostr

Auditioning
Real Name
Angelo
Passive subwoofers also rob the other speakers of power, since the receiver not only has to drive the 5 satellites, but the subwoofer as well. The Yamaha does not have that issue out of the box, but the Onkyo will. Something to consider.

I dont think that i Will have problems of Power in 20mq room, or not?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Yamaha will likely give you richer bass "out of the box" since it comes with an active subwoofer. But get whichever one you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks