What's new

Good time to Try Unwatched Films? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

While some of us are stuck inside for the time being, how many of us should use the opportunity to go through our collections and look for films/movies that we have but haven't watched before. This might be a good time to try something new and different.

I have a great many DVD's of tv shows and movies that I haven't watched yet, so I'm trying to catch up. I watch an hour a day and try to "catch up." I do wish more "lost" films from the sixties were available.

It has been mentioned that some of my relatives who are also under lockdown want to check out my collection for some films they haven't seen, especially with libraries, movie theaters, and schools closed. Not recommending that you should have relatives come over, but you can make them available if someone asks.

Maybe this is the time to share (in a safe, healthy way).

James

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely a great idea! It isn't like I have enough television to watch. :)

(Actually with sports out of the way that has opened up quite a bit of my viewing time.)

A good place to start. Like most folks here at the HTF I've seen my share of these films, but there are plenty of gaps in my viewing resume: https://mubi.com/lists/sight-sound-2012-top-1000-films-combined-critics-and-directors-ballots

I have a backlog of noirs and other films from the 40s to 60s to catch up on as well. Might be time to dig in a bit.

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have tried this already, and failed repeatedly over the past month or so.

For reasons I don't understand at all, I seem to have absolutely no motivation to watch much of anything from my dvd/bluray collection. For that matter, the high stress/anxiety levels have greatly suppressed my interest in watching through my dvr backlog.

No matter how hard I try to avoid watching 24 hour news channels, somehow the tv ends up going back to cnn, fox, bbc, etc ....

With the exception of family issues, very high stress/anxiety levels has made just about everything else in my life "meaningless".

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the laserdisc copy of The Grey Fox that I have not seen in years so will watch that tomorrow. Also pulled out the old HD format version of Seabiscuit with Jeff Bridges too.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I tried watching Forbidden Planet earlier today. In the past, this is what I liked watching on a lazy sunday.

Today I didn't make it past the first 15 minutes.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have just about cleared off my shelf of unwatched commercially made DVDs and Blus which I always watch first, but I also have at least 5 or 6 years of unwatched TCM recordings including just about every silent film they have broadcast. Most of the major stars are available but I could also have a Joe E. Brown festival or perhaps a Ramon Navarro night.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m actually busier now than before the shutdown, so while I dream big about making a dent in my pile of blind buys, I just haven’t had the time to. I love the idea of seeing stuff that’s new to me, but it just hasn’t been practical yet. But I’m very jealous of you guys who are actually managing to do it :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm plowing through my unwatched discs. I've been furloughed from my job so my days just consist of watching discs and reading comic books. If I wasn't basically unemployed, it would be the life of kings. :laugh:

(Going offtopic on a huge tangent).

I have to wonder if somebody like King Edward VIII lived a life of leisure watching movies all day, after his abdication. Basically somebody who literally has all the money and time in the world to do anything they want, with no royal duties nor any responsibilities.

From reading about him, I get the impression Edward VIII after abdication was extremely bored all the time in spite of the non-stop partying. Perhaps he had "too much of a good thing" and burned out on all the partying and movies.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
For good or for bad, I am not getting a break from work, so my time remains limited for watching my collection. When I do have spare time, I go to comfort food in my collection instead of watching stuff I’m not familiar with
((comfort food is needed in these bleak, stressful times).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For good or for bad, I am not getting a break from work, so my time remains limited for watching my collection. When I do have spare time, I go to comfort food in my collection instead of watching stuff I’m not familiar with
((comfort food is needed in these bleak, stressful times).

I found out the hard way that my "comfort food" isn't in the form of watching fictional tv shows and movies.

Unfortunately I find my tv ending up on 24 hour news channels, which is like a "radioactive comfort food". Basically increasing seratonin levels in my brain, while simultaneously boosting stress and anxiety at the same time. A bit like a "reverse speedball".

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I’m actually busier now than before the shutdown, so while I dream big about making a dent in my pile of blind buys, I just haven’t had the time to. I love the idea of seeing stuff that’s new to me, but it just hasn’t been practical yet. But I’m very jealous of you guys who are actually managing to do it :)
Well, yes, you have newborn twins! That's two handfuls!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The idea of exploring unwatched stuff seems like a good idea, but I find myself going the "comfort food" route myself. I'm actually finding I want to avoid the dark stuff I normally watch. A little bit now and then, but mostly lighter fluff for me lately.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm trying. But despite having lots of free time, I've not gotten to movies. But I have made a big dent in streaming TV, watching Picard last week and finishing S3 of The Magicians.

That said, I watched How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) last night! It was a delightful conclusion to what's become a favorite trilogy.

Later this week, I want to watch Atomic Blonde. And maybe First Man. I've got a backlog this seems like a good time to get through some of it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find it easier to commit to TV at the moment, but within that category, I have been more able to continue with some shows I did blind buys on within the past few months.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I saw Atomic Blonde in a theater when it was new. I was traveling on a business trip and must have been more tired than I thought because I drifted off for the first 10 minutes of the movie. I had no clue what was happening the whole rest of the film.

Mistress9

BANNED
Real Name
Ramona
I have just about cleared off my shelf of unwatched commercially made DVDs and Blus which I always watch first, but I also have at least 5 or 6 years of unwatched TCM recordings including just about every silent film they have broadcast. Most of the major stars are available but I could also have a Joe E. Brown festival or perhaps a Ramon Navarro night.

wonder if Ben-Hur, the best version and the best silent film ever, will ever come out on bluray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks