What's new

Which studio and backlot used for original "Fugitive" (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Keith
Does anyone know which studio and backlot was used in the filming of the original 1960s TV series "The Fugitive"? I think the end credits reference United Artists but that doesn't tell me the studio or backlot name. I'm interested in knowing the backlot where the outside scenes were filmed.

I have all the original season DVD releases and can read the studio name of the back of the cases but was this the original production studio or just who happened to have owned the rights to the show when it was originally released to DVD?

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Filming Locations
  • Tucson, Arizona, USA (pilot episode)
  • Old Tucson - 201 S. Kinney Road, Tucson, Arizona, USA
  • Superior, Arizona, USA
  • California, USA
  • Samuel Goldwyn Studios - 7200 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood, California, USA (studio)
  • Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
  • Iverson Ranch - 1 Iverson Lane, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
  • Los Angeles, California, USA

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The house used in both "The 2130" and "Goodbye My Love" is located at 365 S. Hudson Ave, Los Angeles, CA

House365SouthHudsonLosAngeles.jpg
HouseFUG.jpg

HouseFUG2130.jpg

Real Name
Keith
Thank you both for the great information and the quick replies. Interestingly I think other QM productions were filmed at the Samuel Goldwyn studios like cannon and barnaby Jones. Pardon grammar as this is written on my iPhone.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thank you both for the great information and the quick replies. Interestingly I think other QM productions were filmed at the Samuel Goldwyn studios like cannon and barnaby Jones. Pardon grammar as this is written on my iPhone.

Those were indeed done there, but not all QMs were-- The Streets of San Francisco was made in San Francisco and at The Burbank Studios (Burbank was used for interiors) in the first season; from the second one through to the end, it was filmed entirely in San Francisco (and said so on the end credits)...

streetsofsanfranciscocompletesanfrancisco.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The Fugitive was not one of those studio-bound productions. It did tons of location shooting all over California. Finding locations was a tough job because the show supposedly took place across the country, so they had to find locations that were believable in those places. I believe the only episode not shot in California was the pilot, which was actually shot where the script said it was (Tucson, Arizona). The interiors, though, were done in studio.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Here's an example of an incongruity in the location of THE FUGITIVE. This picture is from an episode that was supposed to be in Ohio. Last time I drove through Ohio, there were zero palm trees.

View attachment 70847
David Janssen seems to be looking directly at that palm tree and saying: "Yeah, I don't care either.", ha, ha...reminds me of a Man from UNCLE episode where they are supposed to be in some nondescript Nordic, near Arctic country, and you can plainly see the palm trees of Culver City in the background. With that Fugitive scene, maybe they were hoping that our attention would be drawn to that 1958 Buick Special parked at the curb. The 2 door sedan with the 364 Fireball V8 representing only 5% of Buick production that year. Probably not as eye catching in 1966-67 as it is to me now...

Seriously though, like most people, we watched The Fugitive on our 19"- 21" B+W analog tube TV during it's first run...we probably wouldn't have even noticed such things back then, and of course couldn't rewind to check on what we thought we just saw anyway. Now, with the improved resolution of DVD, Blu-ray and big screen HDTV, and the best transfers showing us the previously unseen over-scan areas, we're also seeing microphones, clapper boards, camera crew etc., just outside the intended frame that are a delight to behold...
it certainly adds to my enjoyment, and if anyone thinks that these flubs were more common in television than in big budget feature films, an in-depth viewing of those reveals otherwise...

Notice the microphone at the bottom of the screen that moves back and forth to catch the dialogue between Paul Langton and James Whitmore in my screen caps from Twilight Zone's season 4, On Thursday We Leave For Home...
TZ 7.JPG

TZ 12.JPG

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Now, with the improved resolution of DVD, Blu-ray and big screen HDTV, and the best transfers showing us the previously unseen over-scan areas, we're also seeing microphones, clapper boards, camera crew etc., just outside the intended frame that are a delight to behold...

Like from this second-season episode of The Streets of San Francisco, "The Hard Breed"-- a Streets of San Francisco script is in the window of a vehicle that Jim Davis' character Roy Johnson is beside...

streetsofsanfranciscoscriptinbackground.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks