What's new

CBS To Show Paramount Films Sundays In May (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Due to TV series ending early CBS will show Classic Paramount films on Sundays in May. CBS TV and Paramount are part of Viacom/CBS.

SUNDAY, MAY 3
8 pm Raiders of the Lost Ark

SUNDAY, MAY 10
8 pm Forrest Gump

SUNDAY, MAY 17
8 pm Mission: Impossible

SUNDAY, MAY 24
7 pm Titanic

SUNDAY, MAY 31
8 pm Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Luckily, I have all of these films on disc and can watch them whenever I want, not relying on CBS' Sunday programming jammed with a million commercials. However, for those who don't have a film collection, I'm glad they're doing something that used to be a scheduling staple on the networks.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
However, for those who don't have a film collection, I'm glad they're doing something that used to be a scheduling staple on the networks.

You bet-- that was a huge part of television as it was in my youth (The ABC Sunday Night Movie, NBC Sunday Night at the Movies, et al.).

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
This thread makes me wonder if CBS will snatch It's A Wonderful Life from NBC and The Ten Commandments from ABC? Two of the small number of films that air annually on network TV, and they're both Paramount titles.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This thread makes me wonder if CBS will snatch It's A Wonderful Life from NBC and The Ten Commandments from ABC? Two of the small number of films that air annually on network TV, and they're both Paramount titles.

I didn't know It's A Wonderful Life was a Paramount release!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think NBC did something like a ten year deal for Wonderful Life so I think that’s theirs for the foreseeable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't need to watch these on TV either. But it's kind of weird that they are including Raiders and Last Crusade but not Temple of Doom.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't need to watch these on TV either. But it's kind of weird that they are including Raiders and Last Crusade but not Temple of Doom.
My guess would be the violence against children and hearts getting yanked out is making them skip Temple Of Doom. Sure, dudes melt in Raiders but they're Nazis so who cares? :)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
My guess would be the violence against children and hearts getting yanked out is making them skip Temple Of Doom. Sure, dudes melt in Raiders but they're Nazis so who cares? :)

My guess would be that Temple of Doom isn't as good as the other two.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Interesting news, I have most of these on discs, but like the Ten Commandments I still watch it for nostalgia when they come on network television. Temple of Doom just wasn't as family friendly as the other two. My parents took me to Raiders when it came out and I was only 6 or 7 years old. Mom refused to let me go see Temple of Doom with my friends but we all went as a family to see Last Crusade later on. First time I saw Temple of Doom must have been on cable, but I remember buying the VHS tape at McDonalds when they were doing the promo for Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Funny stuff.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Obviously, the only reason this is happening is because of the virus shutting down production on their series that should have occupied these slots. Basically, all of these films are being used as schedule filler.

I have no interest in watching any of these cropped and with commercials. However, as far as schedule filler goes, you could do a lot worse and probably not much better.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was just thinking that it would be interesting if CBS re-aired it's remake of Fail Safe in conjunction with the release of the original film on Criterion. That would be very good "filler."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wish CBS would repeat something like CBS On The Air A Celebration of 50 Years a 9 1/2 hour special from 1978 that has never been rebroadcast. It was broadcast over a week. The cost of rights I am sure would make it impossible to rebroadcast. Here is an 8 minute clip introducing the stars .

Here is an expanded clip of the above but the quality isn't as good .

And the last 10 minutes of program.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wish CBS would repeat something like CBS On The Air A Celebration of 50 Years a 9 1/2 hour special from 1978 that has never been rebroadcast. It was broadcast over a week. The cost of rights I am sure would make it impossible to rebroadcast. Here is an 8 minute clip introducing the stars .

And, IIRC, the days-of-the-week portion of the set was repurposed for the original set of Sunday Morning w/the late Charles Kuralt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks