What's new

Can Someone Assist with Panasonic UB9000 Questions? (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I am a (relatively) new owner of a Panasonic DP-UB9000 and while it's not connected to the most ultimate of flat screens (a Samsung NU8000), I want to confirm that I'm set up correctly in order to take advantage of the HDR Optimizer with 4K playback (and even ensure that it's connected right for regular Blu-ray and DVD upscaling).

Is there anyone who could assist with this?

For my display, is MIDDLE/HIGH LUMINANCE LCD the right choice for the display type?
(Note: 4K Blu-rays with HDR, such as Aquaman, look fantastic on the player using the Optimizer, but I just want to be sure.)

Does anything need to be touched in that sub-menu for the Optimizer (the sliders for Tone Curve, Dynamic Range, etc.) or can they be left at "0"?

My display automatically goes into HDR mode when it senses the HDR signal from a source like the Panasonic, so it maxes out Backlight and Contrast and puts Local Dimming on "High"...should these settings stay the same when the Optimizer is on?

When viewing regular Blu-rays, I noticed, when I pull up the playback data via the UB9000's remote, that the unit is taking the 8-Bit 4:2:0 data of the Blu-ray and sending out 10-Bit 4:4:4...is this because of the Panasonic's Chroma Upsampling feature, and is this correct?

If anyone could lend any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I am a (relatively) new owner of a Panasonic DP-UB9000 and while it's not connected to the most ultimate of flat screens (a Samsung NU8000), I want to confirm that I'm set up correctly in order to take advantage of the HDR Optimizer with 4K playback (and even ensure that it's connected right for regular Blu-ray and DVD upscaling).

Is there anyone who could assist with this?

For my display, is MIDDLE/HIGH LUMINANCE LCD the right choice for the display type?
(Note: 4K Blu-rays with HDR, such as Aquaman, look fantastic on the player using the Optimizer, but I just want to be sure.)

Does anything need to be touched in that sub-menu for the Optimizer (the sliders for Tone Curve, Dynamic Range, etc.) or can they be left at "0"?

My display automatically goes into HDR mode when it senses the HDR signal from a source like the Panasonic, so it maxes out Backlight and Contrast and puts Local Dimming on "High"...should these settings stay the same when the Optimizer is on?

When viewing regular Blu-rays, I noticed, when I pull up the playback data via the UB9000's remote, that the unit is taking the 8-Bit 4:2:0 data of the Blu-ray and sending out 10-Bit 4:4:4...is this because of the Panasonic's Chroma Upsampling feature, and is this correct?

If anyone could lend any insight, I'd appreciate it.
Paging @Gregg Loewen and @Robert_Zohn who likely have the answer you're looking for.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
DId I hear my name on the PA? Reportig for duty, front and center!

Hello Kaskade1309, happy to e-meet you.

Sorry I don't have a UB9000 in front of me, but I thought the HDR Optomiser has a mid luminance LCD setting, but you say it's MIDDLE/HIGH LUMINANCE LCD so if my memory is incorrect and it does not have Mid Luminance LCD then you have it set corrextly for your TV. You can also try Low Luminace LCD to see which HDR tone mapping is to your liking.

The only other setting to do it to be sure you have the HDR Optomizer turned on. You can find the HDR Optomizer on/off selection buried in the user menu or just put a 4K HDR disc in the payer and when the movie starts press and hold the HDR Settings button on the middle right side of the remote to bring up the HDR Optomize on/off selection and select on.

I use 10bit 4:2:2 color sampeling. I do not recommend touching any other settings.

PM me if you got the promotion that includes the free Spears & Munsil 10bit test disc with yoru UB9000 and I'll give you the instructions on how to use the disc to properly set your TV's contrast ratio.

Enjoy you beautiful new UB9000!

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly in the first post; let me try it like this:

I own a Samsung UN65NU8000 and recently purchased a Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player to replace a Cambridge Audio CXUHD unit that was connected to my NU that was giving me some trouble with DVD playback (and which their repair center couldn't fix even after sending the player out twice). While the Panasonic delivers gorgeous Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray images to the NU8000, I have some questions related to HDR settings and HDR10+ behavior as they relate to a special feature in the UB9000 called "HDR Optimizer"...

First of all, when I viewed UHD discs on my previous player, the Cambridge CXUHD, the unit would just send out the HDR10 signal (I didn't own any discs with HDR10+ yet) and I would leave the NU8000 in its default HDR-Movie mode settings (so Backlight would be maxed out, Contrast would be maxed out and Local Dimming would be on High), as I was told that this is what needed to be done so that the TV could tonemap the incoming signal properly. With the new Panasonic player, there's a feature called "HDR Optimizer," which is supposed to take HDR10 content and perform the tonemapping before it gets to the display, if I understand it right; it's an on/off toggle in the player's menus, with some sliders to adjust beneath it (for things like Tone Curve, Brightness and Dynamic Range, but I leave these on "0").

Now, when I watch discs that were previously really bright and punchy -- such as Aquaman and The Fate of the Furious -- on the Cambridge through the Panasonic with the HDR Optimizer ON, the image looks even BETTER, with incredibly punchy highlights and just more detail to the picture. In the Optimizer's menus, there's a setting for choosing the right kind of display that's connected to the player, and I leave this on "Middle/High Luminance LCD" for the NU8000, which is the default setting out of the box (the other selections are "OLED," "Super Bright Lumiance LCD," "Basic Luminance LCD" and two options for projectors); before I go any further -- should this "Middle/High" setting be correct for the NU, or should it be on "Basic Luminance LCD"?

Here's my primary question about all this: When using the HDR Optimizer in the player, should the default HDR picture settings in the Samsung remain where they are? In other words, should I be leaving Backlight on 50 and Contrast on 50 if the PLAYER is supposedly doing the heavy lifting of the tonemapping process?

Now, in getting to my HDR10+ questions -- we picked up our first UHD Blu-ray Disc with this format, The Shining, and ran it through the Panasonic last night. I can confirm that the player and display were indeed showing the HDR10+ layer of the disc (it also comes with a Dolby Vision layer and, of course, the base HDR10) as evidenced by the Panasonic putting up the "HDR10+" logo upon loading. Here's the thing though: While the transfer of the film looked awesome and miles ahead of the DVD version I've been watching for years, I didn't really notice that much of a difference between the HDR10+ presentation and the HDR10 presentation on other films we've watched on the NU; I realize that HDR10+ is supposed to be Samsung's "answer" to Dolby Vision in that it's a dynamic HDR format that optimizes scenes on the fly, so to speak (and that Samsung doesn't include DV in their displays), but I didn't really notice anything that had me thinking this is a "different experience" than HDR10...

My wife actually noticed a couple of moments where she claimed the screen seemed to "fluctuate" and auto-adjust between different shots of characters in one scene, as if the screen would get clearer and brighter and then go back again...but my eyes, unbelievably, didn't really catch this. I just chalked this up to the HDR10+ system "doing its thing" and correcting on a scene-by-scene basis.

Here's what I'd like to know: Is it normal that HDR10+ or Dolby Vision for that matter doesn't really look much different from regular HDR10? Is this something that is going to be title-dependent?

Also -- when viewing HDR10+ content, do my NU8000's settings in HDR-Movie mode remain the same? Does Backlight and Contrast still get maxed out, or are there different settings that must be made for this content?

If someone could lend some insight here it would be greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does Backlight and Contrast still get maxed out, or are there different settings that must be made for this content?
I seriously doubt that contrast should be maxed out... ever... HDR or not. In most cases, it's not even close. I expect virtually all situations range from 40-60, but I don't know that specific TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What your wife is seeing might be the local dimming zones, if your TV has that feature. There's usually a setting for degree of adjustment, and if it's cranked up, it will be quite noticeable.

Just a note, basically no setting on any TV, except possibly the backlight, should be turned up all the way. If you have anything else cranked up all the way, they should be turned down.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
John,

I do NOT leave my SDR settings set to maximum -- that is, for watching Blu-rays and DVDs; those are set to much lower parameters in my TV's Movie mode. What I'm referring to are settings for HDR CONTENT -- which my TV automatically adjusts when it senses an HDR signal. These include Backlight on Max and Contrast on Max...but, again, these settings are NOT used for SDR playback.

My questions pertain to the way the TV is adjusting these settings during HDR10+ playback and then also when the Panasonic's HDR Optimizer is being used (should the settings remain jacked up like that?).

From what I understand, HDR needs those display settings maxed out -- was I wrong about that?

Also, with regard to the dimming comment, yes, the display keeps Local Dimming on HIGH for HDR playback, and this could be what my wife was seeing, as this setting is quite aggressive when a film has black letterbox areas (the TV is of an edge-lit design, which absolutely sucks for HDR); but should I NOT be seeing any screen fluctuations with HDR10+?

*Edit: I see that you mentioned that contrast should never be maxed out even for HDR content; I missed that the first time I read it. Are you sure about this? Because that's where my Samsung automatically adjusts the contrast control to when it senses an HDR signal; I was always told to leave these two settings alone -- contrast and backlight -- when viewing HDR...

At any rate, my queries were more about what was going on with this HDR Optimizer of the Panasonic player and if those TV settings should remain where they are while using it (and if HDR10+ affects these settings).

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I could say the same thing again, because I answered your question, which you seem to have rejected, and then asked the question again.

Displays really aren’t my specialty, so I’ll let someone else give it a try.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I could say the same thing again, because I answered your question, which you seem to have rejected, and then asked the question again.

Displays really aren’t my specialty, so I’ll let someone else give it a try.

I didn't reject it; I merely asked if you were sure, because I have been told that those settings should always be kept at the default maxed-out positions.

I'm merely explaining where my logic came from with regard to my asking that; sorry to have gotten under your skin. Appreciate the assistance, at any rate.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to at least try to help yourself a little bit. You're the only one who has your equipment, so don't expect the rest of us to find out if the contrast and local dimming can actually be lowered while playing HDR content.

But, yeah, edge illumination dimming isn't very usable in the real world. The fact is, you'll need a better, newer TV with full array and Quantum Color or OLED to really take advantage of HDR.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
You need to at least try to help yourself a little bit. You're the only one who has your equipment, so don't expect the rest of us to find out if the contrast and local dimming can actually be lowered while playing HDR content.

Why do you have to be so hard-edged about this? I'm asking genuine questions and trying to be as civil as possible, but your replies to me are laced with a distain that I just can't understand.

What's the problem? What did I do to ruffle your feathers? I'm trying to get some input about this gear because it's all new to me (the 4K world); I'm not an expert, and you yourself claimed displays aren't your specialty, so why are you giving me such a hard time about it?

You make assumptions about me without even knowing me -- how do you know I haven't "tried to help myself"? Of course the contrast and local dimming can be physically lowered on my set when viewing HDR; that wasn't what I was asking, John -- I was asking if elements like contrast and backlighting should remain maxed out when using the HDR Optimizer of my new disc player. Why is this angering you so and making you lash out at me?

I also wanted to know about HDR10+ and how that works with default settings...should I NOT have asked that?

But, yeah, edge illumination dimming isn't very usable in the real world. The fact is, you'll need a better, newer TV with full array and Quantum Color or OLED to really take advantage of HDR.

I realize that edge lighting isn't ideal for HDR, but I have to work with what I have and for the budget I (was) on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam,

As I stated in the other thread, welcome to the forum. Anyhow, I think we all need to calm down. I don't have the pieces of HT equipment that you're asking about, so hopefully, somebody else with direct knowledge can help you with your issues.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I'll just say this and then duck out. For real.

Robert Zohn, who truly knows the player, answered a question from your first thread. Then you came back, started a second thread and asked the exact same question about settings on the player that he'd already answered in the first thread. He also made suggestions on some things to "try". You can try things to see what you like better. And now in your responses to me, you've asked the same question a third and fourth time that Robert, the best expert on the player you will find anywhere, already answered.

I tried.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
John,

I do NOT leave my SDR settings set to maximum -- that is, for watching Blu-rays and DVDs; those are set to much lower parameters in my TV's Movie mode. What I'm referring to are settings for HDR CONTENT -- which my TV automatically adjusts when it senses an HDR signal. These include Backlight on Max and Contrast on Max...but, again, these settings are NOT used for SDR playback.

My questions pertain to the way the TV is adjusting these settings during HDR10+ playback and then also when the Panasonic's HDR Optimizer is being used (should the settings remain jacked up like that?).

From what I understand, HDR needs those display settings maxed out -- was I wrong about that?

Also, with regard to the dimming comment, yes, the display keeps Local Dimming on HIGH for HDR playback, and this could be what my wife was seeing, as this setting is quite aggressive when a film has black letterbox areas (the TV is of an edge-lit design, which absolutely sucks for HDR); but should I NOT be seeing any screen fluctuations with HDR10+?

*Edit: I see that you mentioned that contrast should never be maxed out even for HDR content; I missed that the first time I read it. Are you sure about this? Because that's where my Samsung automatically adjusts the contrast control to when it senses an HDR signal; I was always told to leave these two settings alone -- contrast and backlight -- when viewing HDR...

At any rate, my queries were more about what was going on with this HDR Optimizer of the Panasonic player and if those TV settings should remain where they are while using it (and if HDR10+ affects these settings).
The minor issues you are experiencing are not from the player, but the display. Either get a new TV, or deal with the very minor issues you are experiencing. You got banned from another site for posting exhaustive, and combative posts about the issues only you are experiencing. And your questions have been answered again, and again, and again.
Please Adam, give it a rest, and enjoy what you have.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
All correct, the limitations of NU8000 can be more easily seen when you connect Panasonic's premium 4K HDR BD player with a well mastered 4K HDR disc.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a way of getting sucked into drama circles like this.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I have a way of getting sucked into drama circles like this.

Maybe if you didn't create them when someone is genuinely attempting to learn how all this works -- instead going off on that individual for not replying in the fashion you prefer for some unknown reason -- you wouldn't feel "sucked in."

At any rate, I love how you didn't even address my questions regarding why you're being so hostile with me.

Before I'm done being baited any longer by you, I'll state this: Robert did NOT address specific questions I asked about the player and its behavior with my display, and though you're going to stick by this, the fact remains that I didn't get my particular queries addressed.

I'm not arguing this with you any longer; I am moving on to responding now to those who may have added something since the last time I was here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks