What's new

First home theater; house in design phase (1 Viewer)

SemperFiDoOrDie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of designing (well, paying someone to design) my new home. We have had lots of back-and-forths about the kitchen, porch, bathrooms, windows, etc., (wife's priorities). Obviously, right before we submit for permitting, I'm allowed to talk about my home theater.

Although I've been researching for the past week -- I'm not getting much help from the architect. I'm hoping this community can help me make my dream come true.

The attachments: I'm attaching 3 photos to this post:
"Media_Room_Blank" -- This is the basic shape we have right now on the drawing. The shorter wall on the "east" side is 9 ft.
"Media_Room_Builder_Proposed_Wall" -- This is how the builder interpreted my request for a false wall (front channel speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen.
"Media_Room_My_Proposed_Layout" -- This is what I was imagining. The furniture is as close to scale as I could.

My unanswered questions:
1. Is the space to narrow (11'4") to have banks of 3 chairs? Should I just go with a total of 4 chairs (2x2)?
2. Is my proposed screen to large for the space? (I did try to calculate the optimal viewing distance, but it looks pretty far back in the room)
3. Speaker placement? (I really can't figure out the side channels because of that darn angled door)
4. Media Cabinet? Just put in SE corner? Outside of the room altogether?

Equipment I'm considering so far:
1. Seymour TRIM Trim TB-120 (http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/trim.php)
2. Sony VPL-VW295ES (https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-vw295es)
3. Receiver? Amp?
4. Kaleidescape Stato S (https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-players-servers/)
5. Speakers?

I'm really looking forward to any responses and discussion -- Obviously I will share all progress photos along the way.

*4/8/20 Update* New drawing - larger space without the angled doorway! See Media_Room_Latest_Drawing

Attachments

• Media_Room_Blank.jpg
    Media_Room_Blank.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Media_Room_Builder_Proposed_Wall.JPG
    Media_Room_Builder_Proposed_Wall.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Media_Room_My_Proposed_Layout.JPG
    Media_Room_My_Proposed_Layout.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Media_Room_Latest_Drawing.JPG
    Media_Room_Latest_Drawing.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

SemperFiDoOrDie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
How about a budget?
Good question. The carpentry work is covered under my construction contract. For equipment, I would say 15k-20k. I put more emphasis on bang-for-the-buck and discourage spending more for features I won't use. I'm willing to change my mind on the projector and screen too -- I just liked the idea of the motorized masking and having the front speakers behind the screen (I'm even willing to have a discussion about that if changing this helps with the room layout).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks