What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I recall, there was an earlier film based upon the works of Frank Herbert, which is not considered a classic of it's kind.

The new Dune franchise from WB as directed by Denis Villeneuve, with a third part (Dune: Messiah) in the offing, has had a bit more luck with audiences.

WB's new 4k UHD variant of Part Two is an extremely high quality affair, but since it began with large format data files, one would have to go out of their way to mess it up.

This is the type of film, as photographed by Greig Fraser, that shines on the UHD format, making the new release a poster child that will hopefully push strangers of the format to step up to the plate and upgrade.

This is a huge production created on a huge canvas, which brings all of the craftsmanship and technology to the fore, and it's all up their on your screen via this new release.

The track in Dolby Atmos is a perfect match to the imagery.

At this center of this universe comes a beautifully rendered slipcover, for which if I had a YouTube channel, I'd do an unboxing. As everyone knows there's nothing better than the real thing than watching a stranger unbox something on YouTube, and describe the contents.

What we have here, presumably for the First Edition only, are beautiful representation of the cast, all within a brass/copper color field. Full metallic reflectivity is in play, creating the effect of the depth of a DMPL Morgan dollar. I've spoken with some investors, whose perception it is that these slips - without the disc and plastic packaging - could be going to thousand on eBay within a year, once collectors discover that it may no longer be offered.

As I constantly remind readers, it hardly matters what the quality of the film or disc happens to be when the slipcover is this superb.

My only question is whether the two leads may be getting overexposed in too many projects.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 7

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Part-Two-Ultra-Digital/dp/B0CW3DTWNG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=136LWB90JIZ8R&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WczikLGRfZOpvD7DHhLYjQUcIWJHJ-G0hTS9rGAq9jl5OEM2iuuaH6ZW6L1PRmOrjl37vW0IqX3VSHeWsI5x8rEuQQyR8EaeGiLLQu2HE0M7nTzN6T_g1QqG-HcABrGsAIojRGAp7CVHJdiKTt4eplnSdSG7GbJSz6IDJvVxQ--TjtK3aurCVjvsTnoa-glvr2iqQTIO-Ml3FaHElCBAud0MDh_yyBqO7atk0qE-2CQ.cmmaVQ1yzRJVw8t6277fE7CF64nuYBgyXrhul2at53w&dib_tag=se&keywords=dune+part+2+4k&qid=1715240517&sprefix=dune+p,aps,82&sr=8-2

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The Morgan Dollar remark sent me further than expected. I actually have one from 1881. When I get this release, I’ll be able to judge for myself how the slipcover compares.

Does getting something from Amazon qualify as “circulated” condition, given the risk of shipping damage? Can we get “proof sets” of Steelbooks and slip-covers, specially struck at a San Francisco facility with a little “S” on the packaging?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Morgan Dollar remark sent me further than expected. I actually have one from 1881. When I get this release, I’ll be able to judge for myself how the slipcover compares.

Does getting something from Amazon qualify as “circulated” condition, given the risk of shipping damage? Can we get “proof sets” of Steelbooks and slip-covers, specially struck at a San Francisco facility with a little “S” on the packaging?
If collectors are lucky, PCGS will eventually begin grading First Edition slips. Possibly too esoteric for CAC.

1715211663081.jpeg

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It would help to ensure the heirloom value if certificates of authenticity could be included with these slipcases. Perhaps the Franklin Mint could be engaged?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don't forget about eBay. Paying ridiculous prices only enhances the value of the slip.
Which is precisely why protective sleeves are sold to ensure the viability of the slipcover.

Malco. Protecting since 2016.

What’s really necessary is slipcover insurance, much akin to the extended Blu-ray Disc warranties sold by the like of Best Buy and Amazon.

One needs to be assured that the slips were survive at least a thousand years. Possibly HTF can purchase in bulk and make available to supporting members.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Ah, yes, the Franklin Mint... remember their Civil War Chess Set? They could make the Slip Cover Chess Set! Steel vs. Slip.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
But wouldn't that original slip cover, to be a true collectable have a sequential serial number and certificate of authenticity personally signed by David Zaslav and Denis Villeneuve. I don't doubt for a moment that the artwork on the outside is more important than what is on the disc.

Would you suggest buying a second copy just to store in a safety deposit box to prevent any damage.

Can't wait to see this.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As I recall, there was an earlier film based upon the works of Frank Herbert, which is not considered a classic of it's kind.

The new Dune franchise from WB as directed by Denis Villeneuve, with a third part (Dune: Messiah) in the offing, has had a bit more luck with audiences.

WB's new 4k UHD variant of Part Two is an extremely high quality affair, but since it began with large format data files, one would have to go out of their way to mess it up.

This is the type of film, as photographed by Greig Fraser, that shines on the UHD format, making the new release a poster child that will hopefully push stranglers of the format to step up to the plate and upgrade.

This is a huge production created on a huge canvas, which brings all of the craftsmanship and technology to the fore, and it's all up their on your screen via this new release.

The track in Dolby Atmos is a perfect match to the imagery.

At this center of this universe comes a beautifully rendered slipcover, for which if I had a YouTube channel, I'd do an unboxing. As everyone knows there's nothing better than the real thing than watching a stranger unbox something on YouTube, and describe the contents.

What we have here, presumably for the First Edition only, are beautiful representation of the cast, all within a brass/copper color field. Full metallic reflectivity is in play, creating the effect of the depth of a DMPL Morgan dollar. I've spoken with some investors, whose perception it is that these slips - without the disc and plastic packaging - could be going to thousand on eBay within a year, once collectors discover that it may no longer be offered.

As I constantly remind readers, it hardly matters what the quality of the film or disc happens to be when the slipcover is this superb.

My only question is whether the two leads may be getting overexposed in too many projects.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 7

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
"This is the type of film, as photographed by Greig Fraser, that shines on the UHD format, making the new release a poster child that will hopefully push stranglers of the format to step up to the plate and upgrade."
So, you are strongly recommending this release to stranglers? Will any come forward while buying the disc?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
"This is the type of film, as photographed by Greig Fraser, that shines on the UHD format, making the new release a poster child that will hopefully push stranglers of the format to step up to the plate and upgrade."
So, you are strongly recommending this release to stranglers? Will any come forward while buying the disc?
1715218591412.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes. Everyone should have a comfortable avocation. The words of De Quincey always ring true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks