What's new

Drone / Heli photography (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Cameron, So, have you had many chances to fly your Mini 2? Any photos to share?

I finally sat down to complete The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). I was hoping that the test would be reasonably difficult to pass. Maybe that would help thin the herd of recreational pilots that do stupid stuff and give the hobby a bad reputation. But, alas, the TRUST test was super easy to pass. Just common sense.

Hey, maybe the bozos that go around ruining the hobby don't have enough common sense to pass? More than likely, they'll fly without taking the test. If so, I hope they get busted and fined.

I haven't flown my drone since the TRUST test became mandatory. Now that I've completed the test, I guess it's time to charge up some batteries and shake out the cobwebs.

Mark

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've flown it a few times and it's been a learning experience for sure. The last time I took it to the coast, and the app crashed (I think because the drone got too far away from me), and for about 5 minutes I thought I'd lost it into the ocean. But I was able to restart the app and re-establish the connection and found that it had gone into the low hover mode when it lost connection. So I was able to bring it back to shore unscathed. I don't know if there was any really remarkable footage from my mishap, but I'll try to find a couple things to share.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Not the most amazing shot, but certainly a perspective one would not be able to get otherwise.

Heceta Head Lighthouse State Scenic Viewpoint, Oregon

DJI_0066.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Big newcfeatures mean big prices…

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Wow, can't believe it's been 2 years since activity in this topic.

My wife ordered a Mavic 3 Pro for me for Christmas. Amazon had trouble with shipping (delayed delivery twice) and we weren't going to be home on the day of actual delivery, so she cancelled that order. Now one is on the way directly from DJI (should be here tomorrow).

I'm pretty excited but I'll have to wait until next week. She who must be obeyed says it must remain under the tree until Christmas morning. :)

I haven't flown my Mavic Pro Platinum since early September. Remote ID isn't being strictly enforced yet, but I believe in the idea (Remote ID) and I didn't want to buy a module when I was hoping to just get a new drone. I'm gonna try to find a new home for the MPP and all of the accessories and extra batteries (plus rapid charger). Not sure what it's worth these days, but surely someone can use it.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I didn't activate the Mavic 3 Pro until December 26 and I've only flown it a couple of times since. The zoom capability is amazing. If I "pixel peep" the images from the 3 different cameras, I can see that the 7x zoom is lacking in resolution compared to the main wide-angle lens, but I think the 7x camera's image quality is roughly equal to what I was getting with my Mavic Pro Platinum.

These shots were while hovering just below 400 feet. All I did was switch cameras and then snapped a photo.

Standard wide-angle lens (24mm equivalent):
i-LtD5HTL.jpg

3x optical zoom lens (70mm equivalent):
i-dcb57CL.jpg

7x optical zoom lens (166mm equivalent):
i-QXn4fRb.jpg

It was a hazy day, so not the best day to be shooting. But the zoom capability is impressive.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unbob
Recent bookmarks