What's new

Foldable phones (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was the guy poohpoohing bigger phones and then went and bought the biggest iPhones on offer 3 years running... buuut so far I don’t see any appeal here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm sure it will be quite a few years before the cost comes down on such as feature. I still prefer a smaller phone -- I need to be able to put it in my front pants pocket, as well as the valuables pocket of my golf bag. I went with the smaller Samsung Galaxy S8 over the 8+, and will do the same thing when my lease is up on that phone (hopefully the Galaxy S9 will be offered at a low price before summer by Sprint, since the S10 should be out any day now).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This unfolding phone looks to me like a possible future. All-screen device. Bigger on the inside. I’m intrigued.

Now the other one from Samsung that folds the wrong way around, that’s just dumb.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can’t help it, Sam... I laughed when I saw this ridiculous thing announced, then again when it was publicly revealed. It’s a dumpster fire of a phone and laughable at best.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m really stunned by this debacle. Obviously the tear away screen element is a late addition kludge to the manufacturing design.

But allowing for that, how did Samsung not bother to tell reviewers to not tear this off? They knew it was easily removable and looked like a new-in-box removable plastic film. There’s a warning in the retail boxes!

Crazy! Madness!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So how will the Huawei with its exposed screen be any better? I can see that phone's screen becoming unreadable in a very short amount of time from taking it in and out of one's pocket.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The Wall Street Journal broke their Galaxy Fold too. Sorry for the paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-fold-non-review-we-are-not-your-beta-testers-11555691833

Still, I worry that many buyers won’t be able to resist picking at it, or it will come off over time due to normal wear and tear. Since there is a gap between the protector and the edge of the screen, dust and dirt speckles get stuck around the edges.

“Consumers who notice that the protective layer is not integrated on the display should contact Samsung customer care at 1-800-SAMSUNG as soon as possible to avoid any additional damage to the display,” said the spokeswoman.

Even then, I have to ask: Why in the world is a $2,000 glamour phone held together by a flimsy piece of plastic? The feeling of cheapness is as great a sin. Why didn’t Samsung integrate this apparently necessary protective layer better into the body of the phone? (The company’s answer: It makes the phone easier to service. There’s a vote of confidence!)

This makes me appreciate my $18 ZTE Android 7 phone even more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So how will the Huawei with its exposed screen be any better? I can see that phone's screen becoming unreadable in a very short amount of time from taking it in and out of one's pocket.
By having designed and built it well? That’s how things are built that work compared to things that don’t.

But maybe not. Maybe foldable phones are still only prototype concepts for a few more years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can't believe anyone's surprised a foldable screen breaks. If you flex anything enough it'll break.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am due for a new phone, as the Sprint lease on my Galaxy S8 is up. I can guarantee everyone I will not be getting a foldable phone. This seems like a recipe for disaster.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can't believe anyone's surprised a foldable screen breaks. If you flex anything enough it'll break.
We’re surprised they broke in a single day. Review units seeded to reviewers to get the good word out. A day’s use can’t possibly constitute “enough” to be unsurprised it broke from long term use.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaringFireball has posted some good remarks on this debacle, capturing my views.

"Daring Fireball: Know When to Fold ’Em" (https://daringfireball.net/2019/04/know_when_to_fold_em)
This is a sign of deep dysfunction within Samsung. Let’s think this whole thing through.

"Daring Fireball: Don’t Hold Your Breath" (https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/05/07/fold-breath)
Today is May 7. How can anyone take them seriously that they do not know if they’re going to ship by May 31? This thing is never going to ship and everyone knows it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was quick. This would go down in history as one of the biggest product failures of all time -- worse than New Coke or the Microsoft Zune.
Nah. New Coke was a century old company attempting to change the best known and beloved drink in the world, and completely failing. It was a profound failure cutting to the soul of the Coca Cola company.

Samsung, they who sell exploding phones...doing really stupid things is their brand. They throw spaghetti at the wall and keep selling that which doesn’t self destruct. In the scope of Samsung mobile division, this isn’t anywhere at the scope of New Coke.

Also: Amazon Fire Phone. :D

joyjoy22

Auditioning
Real Name
Joyce
Huawei is having an issue with Google so I feel like I wouldn't to invest on a smartphone from this brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks