What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Looking for a new smartphone (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It is time to retire my trusty LG G6, as it is beginning to lock up during crucial times.

I would prefer to stick with Android, but do not want a Samsung, and also do not want to spend a fortune.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is time to retire my trusty LG G6, as it is beginning to lock up during crucial times.

I would prefer to stick with Android, but do not want a Samsung, and also do not want to spend a fortune.
I'm not very smart on Android phones. But from casual reading looks like the new Pixel 6 are great choices for Android users, especially if you want high-end features for mid-range pricing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not very smart on Android phones. But from casual reading looks like the new Pixel 6 are great choices for Android users, especially if you want high-end features for mid-range pricing.
I like Samsung phones, but if I was to go with another brand the Pixel 6 would be my choice right now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I jumped the Android ship and went with the iPhone 13 256Gb. I’m pretty happy so far.
In terms of “ecosystem”, how’s that work?

My impression is:

1) I’m an iPhone user and invested in the total Apple ecosystem. I can’t easily move to Android because my photos are in iPhoto, I use Apple Messages for talking with friends and family, my files are now stored in iCloud for access across all devices. I’d have to reinvent my digital life to move to not-Apple.

2) If you’re invested in Google’s ecosystem, you can bounce platforms because Gmail and Google Docs and etc apps or websites are available everywhere. You’re just buying the best ”container” for those apps, be it an iPhone or Android phone or whatever.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
In terms of “ecosystem”, how’s that work?

My impression is:

1) I’m an iPhone user and invested in the total Apple ecosystem. I can’t easily move to Android because my photos are in iPhoto, I use Apple Messages for talking with friends and family, my files are now stored in iCloud for access across all devices. I’d have to reinvent my digital life to move to not-Apple.

2) If you’re invested in Google’s ecosystem, you can bounce platforms because Gmail and Google Docs and etc apps or websites are available everywhere. You’re just buying the best ”container” for those apps, be it an iPhone or Android phone or whatever.
I actually went through the Google -> Apple transition last year, because I had to (long story short, I am a Type 1 diabetic and rely on some apps and devices that only work on Apple's ecosystem).

I was able to keep my photos pretty easily since I use Google Photos and that works well on iOS.

The apps were mostly available on both platforms, though it was a pain having to go through the list and download them one by one.

I avoid iCloud as much as possible to make my eventual return to Google's ecosystem easier, so rely on Google Drive, Dropbox etc as my storage where possible.

The one that I know will be painful is the eventual move away from iMessage back to SMS/RCS on Android. Apple has a form you can submit to have your number removed from iMessage but it's apparently a very inconsistent process and rife with challenges.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale